Second Sidebar request

Support Area Forums Foxy Second Sidebar request

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Mizu Desierto
    Participant

Greetings….
    I am wondering if it might be possible to add a sidebar to the right side of this theme as well? As I am working on it, and wanting to use more widgets, it would be really helpful to have another sidebar option for contact info., etc.

Is there a simple code I could insert to have add this capability?

Bill Robbins

One of the great things about WordPress is you can do just about anything you’d like to with it. You can add a second sidebar with a bit of modifying the theme. Here’s what you’ll need to do.

1. Go to the appearance section and select edit to open up the theme editor
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose functions.php
    3. Look for this spot:

and right above it, paste this:

4. Save your changes
    5. Next open up footer.php and paste this right below </div><!– Close Wrap –>
    6. Save your changes.
    7. Last file, edit style.css and scroll down to the very bottom and paste this:

aside#page-right {
      position: absolute;
      right: 0;
      top: 140px;
      }

aside#page-right .widget {
      width: 200px;
      background-color: transparent;
      background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84);
      padding: 10px;
      }

8. Save your changes

That should add a sidebar that is now attached to the right hand edge of your screen.

I hope that helps. Merry Christmas

Mizu Desierto
    Participant

Bill!
    Thank you so much. I love working with your theme and so appreciate your support.
    I followed your directions above (and double-checked the work), however, something is a little off. Although my Widget page says there a right sidebar, whatever I put in the bar shows up at the bottom of the page in a format that is not very usable. Here is a link to the site for you to see what is happening.

http://www.WITD.org

Any suggestions?

Mizu Desierto
    Participant

Hi Bill, sorry to be the annoying client on a week of holiday….
    Something else seemed to happen after attempting to add the right sidebar—I went to upload new photos for the slideshow, staff and service pages. They are really high quality photos but they are coming up now really pixelated. Everything I put in before is fine, it only seems to be affecting anything new that I upload. Some of these photos I had played with before changing the sidebar and they looked great. Is there a reason that the changes would have affected the photo quality?…..

Thanks so much.

Bill Robbins

Here’s one possibility for the images being pixilated. When you upload an image, there are several radio buttons for image sizes that WordPress creates automatically. Make sure to select the full size one. That way the background image script won’t try using too small of an image to fit into the background.

I’ll take a look at the positioning of the sidebar in just a bit.

Mizu Desierto
    Participant

yeah, I have them all set to full size and they are large photos. Like I said before, they were uploading fine with a really nice quality until I changed the html. it is bizarre.

I will keep playing around with it.

Mizu Desierto
    Participant

ok. I got that glitch figured out. The photos are fine. I must have uploaded a couple of them smaller. Let me know whenever you get a chance to check out the sidebar issue.

Thanks again!

Mizu Desierto
    Participant

Hey Bill. Great News. I’m not sure what happened, but after going out on a hike and rebooting my site, the new side bar works beautifully! Thank you so much!!!!!

Bill Robbins

That’s great news. Let me know if you need anything else.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Second Sidebar request’ is closed to new replies.