Right sidebar

Support Area Forums Foxy Right sidebar

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question: http://t5.nerdherd.net/
  • Author
    Ian Beyer
    Participant

Is there a way to move the sidebar to the right of the main content area rather than below the menu on the left?

Bill Robbins

Hello Ian,

You can swap them around. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Theme Options page and select the Styling tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and add this:

#sidebar {
      	float: right;
      }

#content {
      	float: left;
      }

3. Save your changes.

That should swap the sidebar to the right hand side. If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Ian Beyer
    Participant

Will that keep the menu on the left?

Bill Robbins

Good question. The widgets and navigation menu are in the same container so you’ll have to move them together.

Ian Beyer
    Participant

OK, I need to split them up somehow – There’s a lot of empty space on the right and the sidebar is rather long.

Also, is there a header widget area?

Bill Robbins

Probably the easier option would be to add a second sidebar that is on the right hand side of the content. I did notice that you’re running an old version of the theme. Before diving into a lot of edits, I would suggest updating to the current version. It handles the space of the content area a bit differently so it fills the full width of the content wrapper instead of having that space on the right.

You can download the theme from our support site here. You can unzip the foxy.zip file and rename the folder foxy-update and then zip it back up. From there you can install it just like you would a new theme.

After that if you still need to add in a new sidebar either to the right hand side or the header, let me know and I can show you how to do that.

Thanks,
    Bill

Ian Beyer
    Participant

Eek, apparently my fonts all changed when I did the update. I must have had some custom mods in there.

Ian Beyer
    Participant

And my heading font isn’t in the list… How do I add a google font to the font list?

Bill Robbins

If you installed by changing the folder name, the original theme will still be there in case you need to pull any code out of it.

The way to add a new font is to use the @import option for adding the font to your site. You’ll add something like this to the Custom CSS or a child theme:

@import url(https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans);

That will load up the font. Then you can use it for heading by adding something like this to the Custom CSS:

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
         font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif;
    }

which will apply that font to the headings.

Bill Robbins

You’re more than welcome to edit the theme and add fonts that way. The only drawback is it makes updating more difficult in the future.

You might want to disable the automatic theme updates options in the theme options page to make sure you don’t lose your changes via a theme update.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Right sidebar’ is closed to new replies.