Responsive Visual site not displaying properly on some Windows based browsers.

Support Area Forums Responsive Visual Responsive Visual site not displaying properly on some Windows based browsers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author

Your themes are great, but my Responsive Visual site is not displaying properly on some Windows machines. The latest person who told me this was using Windows XP with an IE browser. I updated the code using your instructions in the “Disappearing Background in WordPress 3.3” post, but still seem to be having issues with the site navigation and other elements not appearing. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. My site is http://www.magicmode.com Thanks in advance for your time.

Michael

Bill Robbins

Michael,

Thank you for your business first of all and sorry for the trouble. It looks like I unintentionally added a bug to the theme. I’ve posted an updated version of it that should fix it for you. If you’d like to do it yourself, here’s how:

1. Go to the Appearance section and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose scripts.php and look for this spot:

// add ie conditional html5 shim to header
      	function organizedthemes_add_ie () {
      		global $is_IE;
      		if ($is_IE) {
      		    echo '<!--[if lt IE 9]><script src="https://html5shim.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>';
      		    echo '<script src="'.get_template_directory_uri().'/js/respond.js"></script>';
      		    echo '<style> .shadow { behavior: url('.get_template_directory_uri().'/js/PIE.htc) }</style><![endif]-->';
      		   }
      	}
      	add_action('wp_head', 'organizedthemes_add_ie');

and replace it with this:

3. Save your changes.

That should fix it too. The only other thing that I changed in the update is I moved one file that is loading from Google to be located inside the theme. If you’d like to do that, let me know and I’ll tell you how to go about that.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I found the following in the scripts.php.
    It looks like the beginning and end of this block of code are already the way you wanted me to change them? Do I delete everything else between those lines?
    I’m new to this whole WordPress world so please forgive me if I’m asking something ridiculous.
    Also, I would be interested in getting that updated Google code as well.

Thanks, Bill.

Michael

// add ie conditional html5 shim to header
    function organizedthemes_add_ie () {
    global $is_IE;
    if ($is_IE) {
    echo ‘‘;
    }
    }
    add_action(‘wp_head’, ‘organizedthemes_add_ie’);

Bill Robbins

Michael,

Sometimes posting code can be a bit tricky and when I initially replied to the post, I had forgotten to change some of the characters so you could see it. The updated reply unfortunately doesn’t go to your email. Sorry about that.

The difference between the two code sections is this:

global $is_IE;
    		if ($is_IE) {

and this near the end

}

which causes that to be output on all pages a bit more reliably.

If you’d like to use move the Google version to a local file, let’s do this instead.

1. Go to this link https://gist.github.com/4608382 and click the “download Gist” button in the left hand column. That will download a file to your computer. Unzip it and in the folder you’ll see a file called html5.js.
    2. We’ll need to install a plugin so you can add the new file. Go to Plugins and select “Add New.” Search for “WP Editor” and install and activate the plugin.
    3. Now go the Appearance section and select “Theme Editor.”
    4. In the top right you’ll see a spot where you can upload a file. In the field for the sub-directory enter js and then use the upload tool to find the html5.js file you just downloaded. Upload the file.
    5. Next edit the scripts.php file and replace all the content with this:

6. Save your changes.

That should move the file to a local copy for you and also change the other bit. If you run into trouble, let me know.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Bill,

Anyway I can email you directly or give you a quick call? My email is magicmode@me.com
    Thanks.

Michael

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Responsive Visual site not displaying properly on some Windows based browsers.’ is closed to new replies.