Read More Translation in Excerpts on the Blog Page

Support Area Forums Elite Read More Translation in Excerpts on the Blog Page

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question: http://neu.alex-schneider.de/category/news/
  • Author
    Participant

Hello there Bill,

Thank you for your assistance with my other two topics. I used the “Width” information in addition to fix a mix-up of the sidebar when scaling down to mobile displays.

Here I have to come up with another one which has already been in another thread (see below), but which had not answered my questions …
    It’s about the translation of the “Read more” tag on the blog page (please see attached screenshot).

I have searched the thread https://support.organizedthemes.com/forums/topic/read-more-translation/

I did the translation in the .pot file like in your reply to JazzLover and uploaded the file to
    …/wordpress/wp-content/themes/elite/languages,
    but it did not the trick as it did for JazzLover …

What did I wrong?
    Is there another “Text in function” than the one I translated or would I have to do tweaks in another file (and add this to my child theme as well)?

Thank you very much again in advance for your great support.

I love the Elite theme. I will use it for sure again in future.

Warmest regards
    Winfried

Participant

Hello there Bill,

Here I have an additional information:

I did the translation in the .pot file with all occureencies of “Read More” …

It’s still in English instead of German (“Weiterlesen”).

Thank you very much in advance.

Warmest regards
    Winfried

Bill Robbins

Hello Winfried,

Great question there. Let me say upfront, I’m not a translator myself so this is from the perspective of a teacher who has never done the task before.

If I understand correctly, the POT file is not what is actually translated. You don’t actually alter that file, but you use it as a template in creating a separate file for each translation.

For quick translations of theme elements like the read more link and the comments section, I used to recommend a plugin called Codestyle Localization. It lets you make translations of those elements from inside the WordPress admin, but I’ve just discovered this morning that the plugin is no longer at WordPress.org to download. I don’t know what happened to it.

Most of the other translation plugins are geared to setting up a multi-lingual site which would be overkill if you just want to translate that small element.

There is one plugin that I haven’t tried that might do the trick. It’s called Loco Translate and you can find it at https://wordpress.org/plugins/loco-translate/ . If it works as advertised it will add a new section to the tools menu that you can use to translate those elements. Most of the strings available to translate will be in the dashboard side of WordPress. I believe the user facing items in the theme are the read more links and the comment elements.

Let me know if I can help out.

Have a great weekend,
    Bill

Participant

Hello there Bill,

Thank you for your quick reply.
    Unfortunately Loco Translate did not solve the issue.

I wonder that languages are provided in .pot files (“PowerPoint template file) instead of .po and .mo files.

Loco Translate lists these files but does not show possible translation strings.

I’m quite puzzled and will investigate further regarding this. I will let you know my findings.

Warmest regards
    Winfried

Participant

… just saw that .pot is a “Portable Object Template”. So why does my computer try to open this as a “PowerPoint template” file?

… I think I’m on the right track.

Bill Robbins

Unfortunately there are a few conflicts out there with file extensions that are the same. PowerPoint would like to open that up as a presentation, but in reality it’s just a text file.

You can use a program called PO Edit to create a translation. When it’s run, it can give you the po and mo files that actually power the translation. All the POT file really does is provide a directory of the text that can be translated and what it says in the original language. It doesn’t translate anything in and of itself.

One alternative would be just to edit the files where you find the read more links. If that’s all you’re looking to change, it might be worthwhile just to edit those directly. With translations, they can always need updating with a theme update due to line number changes as things are updated so it’s not really any more of an update issue to change the files directly instead of using a po file.

You’ll need to edit:

1. index.php
    2. single.php
    3. single-staff.php

and that should get it. Let me know what you turn up.

Have a great weekend,
    Bill

Participant

Hello there Bill,

In the meantime I found the way to open the “.pot” file in PoEdit.
    But translating the strings there did not help.

At last I did the same as Vitaly: “So, I had simply replaced “Read more” text in the index.php with the translated text…” and it did what I needed. I simply need to remember the trick when a theme update comes round the corner.

Thank you for the great theme and your support.

Warmest regards
    Winfried

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Winfried,

Glad you’re all set now. If you do need anything else, just let me know.

Have a great day,
    Bill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Read More Translation in Excerpts on the Blog Page’ is closed to new replies.