Re-ordering and pre-dating podcasts.

Support Area Forums Kerygma Re-ordering and pre-dating podcasts.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
URL to the page in question: http://gracewaynesboro.com
  • Author
    GraceWaynesboro
    Participant

Bill, I promise I’ll be out of our hair soon! On the attached screenshot, you’ll see that I’m trying to build a shell of sorts for the remainder of this series. However, I’d like to change the date to reflect the night we meet, but wordpress sees that as a future podcast and tries to schedule it, rather than post it with a future date. Is there any way around this?

Secondly, I’d like for the website to list the podcast episodes with the earliest episodes listed at the top; opposite of what the site is doing. Is this possible?

I realize that I’ve consumed a bit of your time over the past few days. If you don’t have time to address this today, I certainly understand!

Bill Robbins

Fantastic question. WordPress has handy function that we can use to alter the results of query. We can use that change the order of your posts from reverse chronological to chronological and also include scheduled posts. Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and choose Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose functions.php
    3. Scroll down to the very bottom and paste this (create a new line or two to space things out):

(Be sure to copy that code directly from the support site and not the notification email).

4. Save your changes.

That should include both scheduled posts and published ones. Let me know if you run into trouble.

Questions are always welcome too 🙂

Bill

GraceWaynesboro
    Participant

Thank you!

GraceWaynesboro
    Participant

Sigh….

Hi Bill! Please see the attached screenshots.

In the first, you can see content within the podcast that is dated for November 5th.

In the second, you can see the “page not found,” because…well, it’s not published yet.

Is there any way I can publish the podcast today, keep the date set for the 5th, and have the content available?

Bill Robbins

Honestly, I don’t think so. It’s possible to have the titles show up in a queried list (that’s what we did earlier), but I don’t know of a way to have future posts visible to users who aren’t logged in. It’s just not really made to work that way.

One workaround you might could use is the redirect function in the SEO plugin. You could redirect the scheduled posts back to the series’ list. That would be better than having the visitors go to a not found page at least. Just a though.

Bill

GraceWaynesboro
    Participant

Hmm. The redirect won’t even work if I’m logged out. Now that is interesting. Thanks for your time again, my friend.

Bill Robbins

There is another way we could add a redirect that might be worth a try. If you’ll look in the left hand column down near the bottom you’ll see the SEO section. Go there and click on Edit. One of the text areas there should be for your htaccess file. This is a special file that tells the web server how to work.

What you’ll want to do is scroll down to the bottom of the file and add a line like this:

Redirect 301 /shop http://www.organizedthemes.com/themes

The /shop in the snippet above tells the server that all requests for the page that ends in /shop should be redirected to the url that follows it, in this case http://www.organizedthemes.com/themes

Once you’ve finished, save your changes.

That’s another option that might be worth a try.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Re-ordering and pre-dating podcasts.’ is closed to new replies.