Progress Theme Retired ?

Support Area Forums Progress Progress Theme Retired ?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    HDTV-Entertainment
    Participant

I understand that the progress theme is retired. Not quite sure what this means, I suppose that it does not receive any upgrades, improvements, or wordpress compatibility checks and upgrades in the future.

That last one has me a bit concerned if true. Although I am happy with progress, what replacement theme would you recommend for me to test that would not require reworking any content or plugins. Hopefully it looks similar. Just want to stay up and running without any work to do so and if there are improvements in the new theme as to mobile viewing, even better.

Rick

Bill Robbins

Hello Rick,

You’re welcome to keep using Progress for as long as you’d like to. It’s a pretty simple theme so I don’t expect any WordPress updates to break things. As long as you’re happy with it you’re good to go.

Of the themes that I have, I believe Forward is actually the one that would be closest to Progress in terms of layout. You could take out the background of the site wrapper (the white in the middle). That would give you an appearance quite a bit like Progress.

If I can help with anything, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

HDTV-Entertainment
    Participant

Forward appears to be fast. My site is less so, but it may be more graphics intensive. So, it may not be the theme.

Is there a way I can test this at my site without ruining it for Progress? And, I assume it would be a full purchase price if I switch.

Rk

HDTV-Entertainment
    Participant

I also wanted to ask of “Forward” mobile is better than that of Progress or similar. It’s a bit hard to evaluate. I think mobile is very important and want to maximize it

Rick

Bill Robbins
    This reply has been marked as private.
    HDTV-Entertainment
    Participant

Final Question: When I test Forward, will it keep all of the settings from Progress? Or, do I need to start all over?

Rk

Bill Robbins

The settings that are in the theme options are theme specific. Testing Forward won’t affect what you have in Progress in terms of theme options, but the reverse is true as well. You’ll need to add your logo for example. Most of the options in Forward are for styling only. You’re welcome to change them or leave them.

You’ll probably need to assign your navigation menu to the location in the new theme, but you don’t need to create a new menu for that.

Bill

HDTV-Entertainment
    Participant

Look like it will take some work to reclaim my customization. I can do this it test mode I believe before switching over. Is that correct?

Also, I have a robots text preventing crawling. I thought this was part of Yoast, but cannot find it. Is there one on Progress somewhere?

Rick

Bill Robbins

I think you could set up some aspects of the site with the new theme using the theme test drive plugin while the old one is still up. Changes to page/post content would be reflected on the current site.

If your web host has a staging area that’s the way to go. You can clone your existing site and make all changes there away from public view and then when you’re ready go live with a click.

You can block via WordPress’ built in discourage search engines setting. That may be what you’re looking for.

Bill

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Progress Theme Retired ?’ is closed to new replies.