Podcasts and Videos not playing

Support Area Forums Epic Podcasts and Videos not playing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
URL to the page in question: http://stpbackroom.us/?series=sermon-recordings
  • Author
    Fred Livezey
    Participant

Bill,

I am having trouble getting the podcasts to play. I have entered the correct URL for each and the duration. When clicking on a title there is no playback of the audio or video recordings.

In a previous construction of the old version of Epic using Bitnami on my computer it worked but now that we are developing it online it no longer works.

Fred

Bill Robbins

Hello Fred,

I took a look at this podcast episode: http://www.stpbackroom.us/?podcast=i-love-you-st-pauls

It looks like the audio file here is hosted at Dropbox which can be a great resource. I use it to host our themes for download.

But I noticed in the download link that even though the URL for the audio points to a file, it’s actually loading a HTML document. That’s keeping the file from playing since it’s a webpage in essence instead of an audio file at that address.

I believe if you can add in the direct URL to the audio file it should take care of it for you. I haven’t tested streaming out of Dropbox, but I do know you can use Amazon’s S3 for that if you need to.

Let me know if I can help,
    Bill

John Baker
    Participant

I am having the same problem. Our audio podcasts won’t play in internet explorer but they play fine in google chrome. Everything was working fine a week ago and then all of a sudden this week they stoppe playing. Any ideas???

http://www.lifescc.net

Bill Robbins

Hey John,

What version of IE are you using?

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Hey John,

I would tend to think that setting in IE 9 is probably set to on by default on most systems. You could always add in a bit of text along with your messages to let people know if you feel like you need to. But based on what that option says, people wouldn’t be able to hear audio from anywhere including places like YouTube, Facebook, Netflix and so on.

If you feel like you want to add that in, edit the single-podcast.php file and find this line:

<audio class="podcast-player shadow" src="<?php echo get_post_meta($post->ID, "message_audio", TRUE); ?>" type="audio/mp3" preload="none" controls="controls"></audio>

Right below that you could enter any text you’d like to go along with it and then save your changes.

Let me know if you have trouble,
    Bill

Fred Livezey
    Participant

Bill,

I managed to get the podcasts to play by moving them to Dropbox’s Public folder then right clicking on file and selecting Copy Public Link. In other folders a right click gives you Copy Link Address which doesn’t play.

That solved, now how can I go to pages 2 & 3 etc. without a Page Not Found Error?

Also, is there a way to eliminate the small type on the second line of the Podcast title? Clicking on the title plays the file and that’s all we need.

Thanks,
    Fred

Bill Robbins

Hey Fred,

Glad you found an option for your Dropbox files. It looks like you need to set up your site’s permalink (that should let the pagination work). Go to the Settings section in your WordPress control panel and select Permalinks. From the options there, choose Post Name and update your settings.

That should let the pagination take you to the other pages in the list.

You can hide the “meta” line that’s below the podcast titles. Here’s how:

1. Go to your theme options page and choose the Style tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and add this:

li.podcast-episode p.podcast-meta {
      	display: none;
      }

3. Update your settings.

Let me know if you run into trouble there,
    Bill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Podcasts and Videos not playing’ is closed to new replies.