Placing text underneath the home page slider but not full-width

Support Area Forums Foundation Placing text underneath the home page slider but not full-width

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Deborah Gabriel
    Participant

With regards to this topic, which is now closed, I would like to do the exact same thing except for the text not to run the full 900px width of the page but the normal default page so that the text fits directly under the slider.

I cannot figure out the div id for the default page?

Bill Robbins

Deborah,

Good question. You can do that using the default page template and the “gallery” format together. It will look like http://www.organizedthemes.com/demo/progress/gallery-post-format/

The images for the slideshow are simply the images that have been uploaded while editing that page. You don’t have to insert the images into the content of that page, but you do have to upload them while editing that page to associate them with it.

If that’s not quite what you’re looking for let me know.

Thanks and have a great weekend,
    Bill

Deborah Gabriel
    Participant

I think I understand what you are saying:

– to create a default page and and select the gallery format
    – To write the content on the page as normal

However, my confusion is how do I get this text to appear underneath the slideshow? Do I have to use a widget- and if so will it be the same width as a normal default page?

The link to the Progress site is exactly what I’m looking for!

Bill Robbins

The content you enter, like you normally would, will appear just below the page title in the left hand column.

In the demo page, “Gallery Post Format” is the page title and then content comes below that.

If you need something different from that, let me know.

Deborah Gabriel
    Participant

I have created the page, used the gallery format and added the content – but it does not show up anywhere? I don’t quite understand how it can appear underneath the slide show automatically. There must be some widget or something to place the text there?

I just wanted to be able to add some content underneath the slide show for which this topic’s solution worked:

Except I don’t want the content to be full width, just the width of the default template. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Bill Robbins

Deborah, can you send me a link to the page you’ve created so I can take a look for you?

Deborah Gabriel
    Participant

Here is the link: http://blackstudiesresearchuk.org/pushing-the-boundaries/

I did not add it to the menu as I don’t want it to appear in the navigation menu, just as text (without the image) underneath the slideshow.

Thanks!

Bill Robbins

Deborah,

Thanks for the link. I confused myself just a bit there…the earlier post was about the Progress theme and I didn’t realize that you were using Foundation.

So let’s take a step back then. The easiest option to create that would be to make a new page template. To do that, first you’ll need to install the WP Editor Plugin.

Once you’ve activated it, go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Theme Editor. On the right hand side here, you’ll find the files in the theme along with an uploader where you can add new ones.

For a new file, you’ll need to copy this code:

and then go to a plain text editor like Notepad or something similar and create a new file with that code as the content. Save your file and call it page-full-media.php.

Then upload that file to your theme using the upload tool that’s part of the Editor.

That will give you a new page template that you can use called “Full Width Media.” You can change the template to use that one and you should be able to have the featured image, gallery or video span the full width with your normal content below it.

You’ll just a bit of styling to make it all work nicely too. Go to the Theme Options page and select the styling tab. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

#page-full .featured,
    #page-full .flexslider {
    	margin-bottom: 30px;
    }

#page-full .flexslider img,
    #page-full .featured img {
    	width: 100%;
    }

and save your changes.

That should give you a layout similar to the one from the Progress theme to use.

If you have any trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Deborah Gabriel
    Participant

Thanks very much for your assistance. It is sorted now!

Bill Robbins

Fantastic! If you need anything else, let me know.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Placing text underneath the home page slider but not full-width’ is closed to new replies.