Pictures in Food Menu Excerpts or titles

Support Area Forums Foxy Pictures in Food Menu Excerpts or titles

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Andrew Nelson
    Participant

How do i display a picture in the food menu posts? i found many plugins that let me add thumbnails if i had access to the post content, but the food menus only let you edit excerpts…

Bill Robbins

It is possible to swap out the excerpt for the full content so you can load in images that way if you’d like to. Here’s how to do that:

1: Go to the appearance section and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2: From the list of files on your right, choose taxonomy-menu-group.php
    3: Look for this spot (on line 27):

the_excerpt(); 

4: Replace that with this:

the_content(); 

5: Save your changes.
    6: Next open post-type-food.php and look for this spot:

‘supports’ => array(‘title’, ‘excerpt’, ‘page-attributes’)

7: And replace it with this:

‘supports’ => array(‘title’, ‘editor’, ‘page-attributes’)

8: Save your changes.

Now you can use the full content to add images inside your descriptions. Let me know if you have any other questions or trouble.

Bill

Stacy Niedzwiecki
    Participant

I was able to get this to work (I’m not the person who posted this question, but I was looking to do exactly this – post images of the food items).

Here’s a sample:
    http://damdogs.com/menu/hot-dogs

However, I’d LOVE it if this could look more like the STAFF page instead! That’s exactly the look I’m going after-same layout, but for the food.
    http://www.organizedthemes.com/try/foxy/staff-group/staff

Can this be accomplished? It would be fantastic if it will run exactly the same way as the Staff pages (as in – you click on that menu item and the image in the page also becomes the large background image).

So basically – we want our Menu pages to run just like how the Staff pages work. My client will really want this feature – it’s why we chose this theme because he assumed the menu pages will work in this manner.

Kindest regards and thanks,
    StacyN

Bill Robbins

Stacy,

Interesting idea. Just about anything can be done. The easiest thing here would be to actually use the staff section for the menu items if you want to go with the same layout.

You can even change the URL structure so it doesn’t say things like “staff-group” anymore. If you’d like to do that, here’s how:

1. Go to the appearance section of your WordPress control panel and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose post-type-staff.php
    3. Look for this spot:

'rewrite' => array( 'slug' => 'staff-group', 'with_front' => false )

4. Change staff-group to another term you’d like to use like dogs. Make sure it is lowercase and contains no spaces.
    5. Save your changes
    6. Now go to the Settings section and select Permalinks.
    7. Save your permalinks twice.

That should get your new URL structure up and running. If you have questions or have something else in mind, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Stacy Niedzwiecki
    Participant

Thank you for your prompt reply – I will give this a try shortly and let you know how it goes! Since we won’t be showing Staff at this website, I think I will do exactly that – change the Staff section into our menu. I assumed perhaps this could be done, but wanted to make sure…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Pictures in Food Menu Excerpts or titles’ is closed to new replies.