Page width and bacground image scaling

Support Area Forums Umami Page width and bacground image scaling

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.bamfordroseengines.com
  • Author
    Simon Brereton
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Great theme by the way.

A couple of questions. I would like to make the “pop-out” pages full screen width rather than just half screen, irrespective of the size/resolution of the browser/screen I am using to view.

Also, the background image does not seem to scale up and down. When I open the website the image is fine but if I re-scale the browser the image seems to go a bit mad and I lose the text.

Look forward to hearing form you and thanks in advance

Best regards
    Simon

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Simon,

Thank you for your business first of all. You can make the content area full width. The main trouble you may have is the lines getting a bit too long on larger displays to be comfortably read. But it is possible. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Theme Options page and select the Advanced tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

@media only screen and (min-width: 768px) {

#wrap {
      		width: 75%;
      		margin-left: 25%;
      	}

#sidebar {
      		width: 25%;
      	}

#content {
      		width: 100%;
      	}

}

3. Update your settings.

That should make it full width on all screen sizes for you.

For the background images, I’d be glad to take a look at why they aren’t resizing. At the moment I’m pulling up a maintenance page on your site. If you can get me past that, I’ll let you know what I turn up.

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Simon,

Thanks for switching that off. I understand what you mean now. The background image will always cover the entire background of the site which is the intended behavior. But in order to keep from skewing the image, some of the image may be cropped on the top/bottom or left/right so that the entire background will be covered and the image not skewed.

For the best results, you’ll want to either leave the text out and just use an image or if you must include text, have it near the center of the image where it won’t be cropped out.

If I can help out, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Good question about adding a widget between the logo and the navigation menu. There’s not a built in way to add that, but you could always make an edit to the theme to include your text there. Here’s what you’ll need to do:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose sidebar.php
    3. Right above this spot:

<?php wp_nav_menu( array( 
      		'theme_location'	=> 'primary',
      		'container'			=> 'nav',
      		'container_id'		=> 'side-menu',
      		'menu_id'			=> 'primary-menu',
      		'depth'				=> 2,
      		'fallback_cb'		=> false
      		) ); ?>

add in this:

(Be sure to copy that code directly from the support site and not the notification email)

4. Replace the enter your text here. with what you’d like to have it say there.
    5. Save your changes.

I believe that will add in text between your logo and navigation menu. Let me know if it gives you any trouble,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Page width and bacground image scaling’ is closed to new replies.