not getting much done in Epic theme

Support Area Forums Epic not getting much done in Epic theme

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
URL to the page in question: http://
  • Author
    Bill Harrison
    Participant

Hi Bill

I think I finally got the Epic theme installed and uploaded the demo data. I have figured out how to add the pictures to the slider on the home page thanks to your instructions. I am struggling with several things. I can’t seem to figure out how to change the demo data to the desired data for most things because I can’t figure out where to do it. The home page is what I would like to figure out first. I can’t figure out where to put the embed code from google maps to show our location. I did paste it into the video code section when editing the home page but then it didnt change the “location widget”.

I am totally new at this but have extensive background in compouters. I downloaded the ebook from your website but dont know what application to use to read it. Any chance we could talk sometime by appt?

Here is the temporary website where I loaded the epic theme 77.104.157.88/~billh411/wp-admin
    If you want to login as me I will send you my credentials via private email.

Thanks

Bill Robbins

Good Afternoon Bill,

Demo data can sometimes be a double edged sword since it doesn’t always make things clear where everything is located to change out.

The home page has the slider that you’ve discovered. Everything else on the home page is made with widgets. To edit those, go to Appearance > Widgets in your WordPress dashboard. The available widgets will be listed on your left. On the right are the areas in the theme that take widgets. Those are called widget areas or sometimes sidebars.

The home page in Epic has two widget areas. If you’re using the layout like the demo has, then you only need to use the home bottom widget area. Click on it on the right hand side of the widget screen and it will open up and show you the widgets that are located there. You can click on the title of a widget to open up that widget’s options which will allow you to edit away. You can also click the title of a widget and drag it around to reorder and rearrange them. If you drag a widget to the left and let it go it can be added to inactive widgets. That will keep the widget’s options, but remove it from the front of your site. You’ll also see a delete link at the bottom of each widget’s options that you can use to remove that instance of the widget.

See if that doesn’t help you change out the content on your home page. If you have any trouble, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Hi Bill,

Great questions. The Event Calendar’s link is bit unusual in that there is not a “page” for your event calendar. If you go to pages in your WordPress dashboard you won’t find an actual page there for it. It’s actually an archive of all the events.

But you can still change it. Go to the Events section in your dashboard and click on Settings. On that screen you’ll see a spot for the events URL slug. Right there you’ll find the URL to your event’s “page.”

Copy that and go to the Appearance section and select Menus. On the left there you’ll see types of default content that you can add to your navigation menu. On the right you’ll see the actual menu. There’s a quick video at https://vimeo.com/72418137 that can show you how it works a bit better than I can describe with just words.

To edit the Events link, click the down arrow on the right hand side of it and it will open up options for that item. You can change the URL to it there since it is a custom link.

You can also delete any menu items you’d like to. That won’t delete the pages, just the menu item that links to them. Save your changes once you’re finished and that will update your menu.

For your home page, you can drag in a text widget and add it to the home bottom if you want to simply enter text there. The featured post widget is set to occupy two “columns” so to speak on the home page. The other widgets will occupy one column. New widgets are added without content in them.

The ebook on the home page is just a PDF. Many web browsers can open it directly for you or you could download Adobe Acrobat Reader and read it that way if you need to. It’ll give you a bit of an idea about how WordPress works in a general sense. The theme instructions (https://support.organizedthemes.com/epic/) cover items that are more specific to the theme than just general WordPress topics. For actual books WordPress for Dummies is also a pretty good guide for general WordPress knowledge.

As you have questions, let me know and we’ll go from there.

Have a great weekend,
    Bill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘not getting much done in Epic theme’ is closed to new replies.