Menu Order and Subheads

Support Area Forums Moonrise Menu Order and Subheads

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Gina Tolentino
    Participant

I have a couple questions about setting up menus. See this url for reference: http://development.ginatolentino.com/2amys/?menu-group=pizze

1. No matter what I try, the menu seems to be in alphabetical order rather than in the order that I name each item. What can I do to remedy this? (The 2AMYS should appear after Marinara)

2. Is there any way to put a subhead between the main menu name and the menu items. For instance, after PIZZA MENU, I would like to have a subhead that reads PIZZA D.O.C., then after the first three menu items, another subhead that says PIZZE.

Thanks!

Gina Tolentino
    Participant

I think I just needed to clear my cache because the order is now working!

Bill Robbins

Fantastic about the cache. You can also add in a description that will go just below the Menu Group name and the menu items. Go to Food and select “Menu Groups.” Your groups will be listed in the top right column. Just click on a group’s name and you can add in a description of that group.

Let me know if you need any help.

Gina Tolentino
    Participant

I saw the description area and I will definitely utilize it! However, I need to have sub headers, and I am wondering if I can add one into the CSS style guide. In all the menus, there are at least 5 sub categories. For instance, in the following, SPARKLING and WHITE are subheads:

WINELIST
    A collection of carefully selected Italian varietals.

• SPARKLING

Grotta del Sole
    Coda di Volpe 2005

Tenuta San Michele
    Murgo Brut

• WHITE

Grotta del Sole
    Coda di Volpe 2005

Bill Robbins

Got it. You can do that. The theme has a menu “shortcode” bundled with it that you can use to display a menu group on any page or post. I would suggest making all the sub-groups their own menu groups (the items can be in more than one group if you need them to be too).

Then you can add your headings like you would any heading in a page and then display the list via shortcode just below that.

Here’s how the shortcode works. Go to Food > Menu Groups and look for the list in the top right. Next to the names of the groups are the “slugs.” Remember the slug of the first group you’d like to display.

Now go to where you want to show the list. Paste this code into the page:

[menu group="burgers"]

and replace the burgers with the slug of the menu group you want to show. Update your page and that will add in a list.

The advantage of this method is you can string together multiple groups on the same page or post. You could even add in a list of today’s specials to a blog post this way.

Bill

Gina Tolentino
    Participant

I followed the directions above but something isn’t working properly. On the PIZZA MENU page I added in the code [menu group=”pizzadoc” “pizze”], but they aren’t showing up in the page.

http://development.ginatolentino.com/2amys/?menu-group=pizzamenu

Bill Robbins

You’ve almost got it. You can only add one group per shortcode so instead of this:

[menu group="pizzadoc" "pizze"]

Try this:

[menu group="pizzadoc"]
    [menu group="pizze"]

That will create two lists, one of pizzadoc and one of pizze

Let me know if that gives you any trouble.

Gina Tolentino
    Participant

I hadn’t thought of that – but it still is not showing up.

Bill Robbins

I just noticed link above is a link to a menu group directly. You’d want to place the shortcodes into a WordPress page or post to get them to create the list for you.

Gina Tolentino
    Participant

I have that code pasted into a page called PIZZA MENU. Then under the page MENU, I have shortcode that says [menu group=”pizzamenu”].

Bill Robbins

Gina,

I found it. The navigation menu points to the menu group directly so that’s why the shortcodes aren’t listed there.

It looks like the page you created is at http://development.ginatolentino.com/2amys/?page_id=10 where it has listed: Marcherita, Marcherita Extra, and Marinara in one list and then 2Amys in another.

You may need to take out the menu group from your navigation and add this page in its place.

Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Gina Tolentino
    Participant

Okay thank you for explaining, I finally understand what you mean…gee whiz! So just two last questions about this and I think I will be okay.

1. To have the menu group name appear, do I have to just type it into the body of the page, or is there another way to show the name. I have it typed out currently, but I would love for it to be in the header style. http://development.ginatolentino.com/2amys/?page_id=10

2. In the Moonrise demo page, when you click on MENU is doesn’t take you to a page, it just shows the drop down menu (with APPETIZERS, etc.) I would like my MENU nav button also not to go to a page…how do I do that?

Bill Robbins

Sorry for the confusion, but I’m glad you got it working.

1. You can just type in the group name before the list if you’d like to. By using the shortcodes, you can include anything from images to headings to paragraphs. It’s very flexible.

WordPress has buttons built into the visual editor you can use to make some text a heading. First click the last icon in the toolbar at the top of the visual editor. It’s labeled show/hide “kitchen sink.” Once that’s opened, highlight the text you’d like to make a heading and then choose the type of heading from the drop down. I would probably go with a h2.

2. You can also insert a placeholder in the navigation. Go to the navigation builder (Appearance > Menu) and look in the left hand column for the custom links block. In the URL field, just enter a #. In the label field, call it whatever you’d like to and add it to your menu. That will create a menu item that doesn’t have a link with it like the “menu” in the demo.

If you have any other questions, let me know. We’re headed out to a birthday party, but I’ll be back to answer on Monday morning.

Take care,
    Bill

Gina Tolentino
    Participant

Thank you for your help on a Saturday morning! It helps so much. Have a great weekend…I am going to enjoy the sunshine myself! Cheers, Gina

Gina Tolentino
    Participant

I’m getting the site close to where I want it to be. How can I close the gap between the bottom of the graphic logo on the homepage and the top of the image. I’m sure I need to change the bottom padding to “0” somewhere but not sure where.
    -Gina

Bill Robbins

Gina,

Great question. It may sound odd, but a small negative margin on the header will do that for you. Try this:

#header {
    	margin-bottom: -6px;
    }

Let me know if you run into any trouble,
    Bill

Gina Tolentino
    Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Menu Order and Subheads’ is closed to new replies.