menu links to shop item

Support Area Forums Umami menu links to shop item

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
URL to the page in question: http://
  • Author
    Paul Spiller
    Participant

Bill,
    I am planning to use Umami for a thai restaurant with local area delivery option. As the menu is quite long, I would like to be able to link a menu page item so that customers can click on the menu item (thumbnail maybe) and be taken directly to the shop (woocommerce) item where they can read more detail and add to the cart for COD purchase.

I would imagine that this would be possible but would like to double check before purchase. Linking using either the thumbnail or menu item name (or both) would be great. I am fairly certain about linking the item name but the thumbnail link would be handy (no lightbox then of course).

Having the customer find an item on the menu and them have to search the shop pages again for that item would seem a bit clumsy – Using the menu item would allow a better short description than the shop page entry – the shop item can elaborate.

Paul

Bill Robbins

Paul,

That sounds like a fascinating idea. I do believe you can do that. You could still use the theme’s menu section. The only thing that will have to change there is we’ll have to add in links to the thumbnail and title. Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose menu-item.php
    3. Replace everything there with this:

4. Save your changes.

That will cause each menu item to have a link in the title and the thumbnail.

Next you’ll need to create the corresponding “products” in WooCommerce. Then to link the menu items to the products, you’ll have to use a “redirect” of some type. There are plugins out there that can create those for you. If you use the WordPress SEO by Yoast plugin, it has a redirect in the “advanced” tab of it’s title/description box on each page. I typically just use that to handle redirects.

For the menu page itself where you’d like to have people click on a thumbnail and go to the menu section, I would suggest creating that with a simple WordPress gallery. You can add a link to each image in a gallery. Just link each thumbnail to the menu group you’d like to display there and that should do it. You can adjust the thumbnail image size in the Settings > Media screen in your WordPress dashboard.

If you have any questions as you set things up, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘menu links to shop item’ is closed to new replies.