Mega Menu type size and spacing

Support Area Forums United Mega Menu type size and spacing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Fred Livezey
    Participant

I want the items shown on the second level of the Menu system to be smaller and link to their pages. Is there a way to control the type size and spacing for these items.
    Also, with the limited number of first level menu items, is there a way to have a HOME button only on pages other than the Home page so that button can also be used?
    Fred Livezey

Bill Robbins

Hello Fred,

Thank you for your business first of all. Are you using the mega menu that’s built with widgets or are you using the WordPress navigation menu option? If you wouldn’t mind letting me know and if possible also send a link to your site so I can make sure any styling tweaks I send over are the right for you that would be very helpful.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Fred Livezey
    Participant

Hi Bill,
    I’m using the mega menus on my site which is being run with BitNami on my computer. Here’s a screen shot of the larger (before) and what I’m looking for.

Fred

Bill Robbins

Thanks Fred. Could we do this as an alternative? View your development site in your browser and then view the source code of the front page. Copy that and then go to http://gist.github.com/ and paste the source code there. Then add a link to that gist back here. That way I can create a local copy myself to work with.

Thanks,
    Bill

Fred Livezey
    Participant

Bill,

https://gist.github.com/FredLivezey/9215929
    is the link to the code. I downloaded the original files for the template inn the mean time in hopes I could figure out some stuff from the way it was done originally.
    What I am looking for, I guess is the smallest type size shown in the demo mega menu.

Thanks again,
    Fred

Bill Robbins

Thanks Fred for sending that over. You can adjust the size of the text in your mega menu widgets. Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to the Theme Options page and select the Styling tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

.cbp-hrmenu .widget {
      	font-size: 14px;
      }

.cbp-hrmenu h3.widget-title {
      	font-size: 24px;
      }

the top style there will control the font size in your paragraphs and lists. The second one there will set the size of the widget titles. You can adjust those to get the correct fit you're looking for.

3. Update your settings.

With the mega menu you do have more options in terms of what type of content you can place there, but you are essentially stuck with widgets. So the top level items really only serve to open up a specific group of widgets.

What you can do is create small navigation menus and then insert them via custom menu widgets. That's how in the demo's "About" section, the Quick Links are set up.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Fred Livezey
    Participant

Bill,
    Thanks for the patch but what I was looking for was the text that shows in the Mega menu when Show Page Title is checked. I wanted to use this when there was only one page to link rather than having the Title_____ and the page title under that for the link. It looks like it might be the h2 tag that covers that.

Bill Robbins

I believe I understand. You want one of the top items in the mega menu to link to an inside page instead of opening up a section of the menu. If that’s the case, here’s what to do:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose mega-menu.php. You’ll see this file has several repeated code blocks for each section of the mega menu. Find the one that corresponds to the section you’d like to change.
    3. Look for this line in that block:

<a href="#"><?php echo of_get_option('mega_name_1',''); ?></a>

and replace the # with the URL you’d like to link to.

4. Save your changes.

Now that menu item will now link to a separate page instead of opening up a section of the mega menu.

If that’s not what you’re looking for, let me know,
    Bill

Fred Livezey
    Participant

Bill,
    I’m sorry I’m having a tough time explaining my problem I guess.
    When adding a page to one of the 5 Mega menus and checking “Show Page Title” I get a large (h2?) title on the menu. If “Show Page Title” isn’t selected “Show Page Content” must be checked to have a linked page. Otherwise I must make up individual menus to have just the titles displayed in a smaller type size.
    There doesn’t seem to be a way to control the size of the type resulting when “Show Page Title” is selected.
    Fred

Bill Robbins

I believe I understand you now. It sounds like you’re using the Featured Page widget, correct? The main purpose of that widget is to display the featured image and the title of the page as way to entice visitors to view the page.

If you only want to link to the page and you really don’t want the image or the description showing, then I would use a different widget to create the link. It’s outside of the scope of what the featured page is made for. Does that make sense?

The best way to add links to the mega menu is to use the Custom Menu widget. That’s the easiest way to manage it.

If you don’t want to do that, then I would go with adding a link inside a text widget or using the Black Studio TinyMCE widget. That one is basically a text widget that has the editor from the page/post screen allowing you to style text, add images and include links.

You could use that to add a link via a widget in your mega menu in a way you could more easily control. You could use the buttons in the editor there to set the size and the link.

If that’s not quite it either, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Mega Menu type size and spacing’ is closed to new replies.