matching the demo site

Support Area Forums Moonrise matching the demo site

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Lauren Shannon
    Participant

Hi:

production site is here:
    http://kimonowinebar.modernmediajapan.com/

I’m just starting with the theme , want to have the same look as the demo site, and having trouble figuring out the following:

1. How big must the images be to match the demo site?
    2. How to make the background photos scroll the way the demo site does?
    3. How to get the Menu page to actually show the menus?

I think if I know how these work, I’ll be able to continue, but until then I’m kind of stuck.

thanks in advance for your help/

best
    Terri

Bill Robbins

Lauren,

Thank you for your business first of all. Let’s see if we can answer your questions:

1. I would suggest making your background images be around 1600 pixels wide by 1000 pixels tall. You can assign an image to each section in the “Home” tab of the theme options page.

2. Assigning the images to a section of your home page will let them scroll like the demo does. If you haven’t looked at the theme documentation yet at https://support.organizedthemes.com/8653/moonrise/ that can help guide you in setting it up.

3. You can add your menu items directly to the home page like the demo does, or you can also add a menu group directly to your navigation too. There are instructions in the theme documentation on how you can do that too.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Lauren Shannon
    Participant

Hi Bill:

Thanks for your help. I made the image changes, and that works fine. Also was able to get the Menus to list in Navigation (note to anyone else who’s confused: just use the navigation menu Category, not the pages.)

Another question:

Menus on front page: at one point, the actual menus were there, but now, even though I have set the Home page as follows, I don’t see the menus:
    Section Two Type = Menu
    Section Two Title = Menu
    Section Two Page Content = Menu

thanks!

Lauren Shannon
    Participant

Yikes! Okay, I finally understood the instructions properly now, I think!

more questions: when Menu is clicked in the navigation bar, I don’t want it to be a link: how can I do that? I just want people to link to the drop down menus.

what would the CSS be to make font color and size changes for:
    -the navigation bar font
    -footer font

thanks!

Bill Robbins

Lauren,

Glad you found categories in the navigation menu section. WordPress will let you add almost anything directly to the navigation, even a specific post or post format too. That way you can add all your videos for example to one spot.

You can create a “blank” menu item. Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to Appearance > Menu to open up the navigation builder.
    2. In the left hand column, you’ll see a box labeled “Custom Links.”
    3. Create a custom link with # as the URL and then whatever text you’d like to have in your navigation as the Label.
    4. Add it to your menu and then arrange accordingly.
    5. Save your changes.

That will make a new menu item for you that is really just a placeholder. In the Moonrise demo, that’s how the “menu” item is created.

To change out the header font, go to the Theme Options page and select the Styling tab. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

#header {
    	font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
    }

Just replace the font “stack” there with the fonts you’d like to use. To change the footer ones, you’d use this:

footer {
    	font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
    }

Save your changes and that should change the font for you.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Have a great week,
    Bill

Sherri Powell
    Participant

Can someone suggest how I should do this:

1. I would suggest making your background images be around 1600 pixels wide by 1000 pixels tall.

When I try to alter the code, I am unable to find the place to increase the pixel size(s).

Thank you.

Bill Robbins

Sherri,

Great question. There is a limited image editor that’s built into the WordPress media library. You can use it to crop and resize images.

I would suggest using Photoshop Express Online. It’s a free tool that handles basic image editing well. You can upload and resize your images that way.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Sherri Powell
    Participant

Thank Bill, for the help and for the quick reply. Photos are resized and looking great. I’m stuck though — I, too, am aiming to build a site that looks much like the demo. I have populated the field under the “Home” tab, following the directions here https://support.organizedthemes.com/8653/moonrise/ but once I populate the fields, neither the images or sections appear on the site. What am I doing wrong???!

Thank you.

Sherri Powell
    Participant

Actually, I think that I’ve figured it out! I’ll probably be back with more questions later though!

Bill Robbins

Just let me know when more questions pop up Sherri.

Thanks,
    Bill

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘matching the demo site’ is closed to new replies.