Making staff pictures horizontal

Support Area Forums Grassroots Making staff pictures horizontal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question: http://
  • Author
    Participant

Greetings! I’m about to switch our non-profit site from Foundation, which uses horizontal staff pics, to Grassroots, which uses vertical shots. I’d prefer not to have to redo all of our pictures. Is there a way to use a child theme to make the staff template more like Foundation?

Bill Robbins

Hi Josh,

Great question there. Can I ask a follow up back to you? Are you only looking to change the image size so it works with your existing images, or do you want to basically use the same layout from Foundation that has an excerpt of their bio next to each image? If you’ll let me know, we’ll go from there.

Thanks,
    Bill

Participant

Great question. If it’s possible to do what Foundation does with the bio excerpt, that would be my preference. We’re about to add our Board of Directors and our Board of Advisory to the staff page. Some of them have longer bios than others!

Having said that, if the only way to pull this off was to just change the image size/ratios and have me pull the best two sentences from each bio, I can do that too.

My hope is to convert our site from Foundation to Grassroots in the next few weeks. Since I’ll want to minimize the time the site is down during the transition, I would like to have the instructions for the child theme and what code we’re putting in before I start, if that makes sense. And if this child theme will involve me needing to do an FTP upload, I’ll need to figure out how to do that beforehand as well. Not sure if this particular child theme will involve that though.

Thanks, Bill!

Bill Robbins

Hello John,

I just whipped that change into a child theme for you. You can download it at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6160765/Random%20Files/grassroots-alt-staff.zip

You can install it just like you would a normal WordPress theme. Just make sure the parent theme is already installed or WordPress will not let the installation complete.

Most likely after you activate it you’ll have to assign your navigation menus to the theme’s locations again. Technically it is a new theme and that’s generally necessary.

This should change the staff lists so they are like the ones in Foundation with a horizontal image and an excerpt of the bio on the right. It also changes the individual staff pages so the image there is horizontal too.

Let me know if you run into any questions or trouble.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Participant

That’s fantastic! Thank you so much!

Bill Robbins

Happy to help out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Making staff pictures horizontal’ is closed to new replies.