Main Food Menu Page

Support Area Forums Bottega Main Food Menu Page

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author

Bill, first thank you for providing this amazing tool. I am so happy with Word Press and Bottega is working out well. I can’t figure out how to make other menu groups appear on the main food menu page. Worked fine for the appetizers, but none of the soups I’ved added to that particular menu group (“Soups and Salads”) show up on the main page. Can you help? I appreciate it! Monica

Bill Robbins

Monica,

I’m glad you’re enjoying the theme and thank you for your business. We’re setting up a new demo for the theme at organizedthemes.com/demo/bottega which is using the current version of the theme. You can track along with the instructions below with the new demo.

Let me see if I can help you out.

There are two ways to add menu items to your navigation. You’ve created your menu items already and assigned them to the appropriate menu groups. Now you can add those groups to your menu directly. That’s how the Espresso Creations page in the new demo works.

Here’s a quick screenshot of the navigation section (Appearance > Menu) that shows how it is set up in the demo. You can click on the image to get a larger view:

The second way to add your menus is to use the menu page template. To do that you’ll need to create a page (or edit the page you’d like to use). In the right hand column, you’ll see a box for attributes that has a drop-down menu for page templates. In that drop down, choose the “Menu Page” template. Then publish/update your page.

Next go to the theme options page (Appearance > Theme Options) and select the “Menu Page” tab. Here you can set which menu groups will be used in this template. This is a good option if you’d like to have all your items in one place. To include a group, just select it from the drop-down and enter a title and a description (if you have one).

Repeat that for all the menu groups you’d like to include on this page and save your changes. Lastly you’ll need to add the page to your navigation so your visitors can find it. You can do that by going to the Appearance section and selecting Menu (there’s a quick screencast in our video section that walks through this too).

One last tip. In order for the menu group to be visible in the theme options page or the navigation builder, you need to have at least one menu item published and assigned to it.

If you have any other trouble or questions, please do let me know.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Thank you for the helpful advice. The second part of your instructions was exactly what I needed!

Bill Robbins

Fantastic Monica. Let me know if you need anything else.

Hi Bill,

I have followed ‘The second way’ as you have outlined above, but my menu page does not display any content.

I have ensured that:
    There is at least one menu item in the menu group.
    I selected ‘Menu’ in the drop-down template selection for the page.

If it helps, the page in question is: http://www2.poffertjes.biz/menu/

Hope you can help.

–Striker.

Bill Robbins

Striker,

Unusual situation. Have you tried to see if you can add a menu group directly to the navigation?

If you’d like to send a login to the site to support@organizedthemes.com and I’d glad to take a look and see if I can figure out what’s going on with the menu.

Thanks,
    Bill

Rebecca Cardennis
    Participant

Dear Bill,

I am having the same problem with the Botegga theme that Striker had. No menu items or any content is showing up on my Menu page.

I even reinstalled my entire wordpress installation and have to go back and remodify my entire look now trying to rectify this problem.

Like Striker I have have ensured that:

There is at least one menu item in the menu group.
    I selected ‘Menu’ in the drop-down template selection for the page.

here is the page http://southparksaloon.com/wp/?page_id=28
    Please help.

-Rebecca

Bill Robbins

Rebecca,

You can try what worked for him. Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to the appearance section of your WordPress control panel and select edit to open up the theme editor (or use the editor of your choice if you have one).
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose page-menu.php
    3. Look for this spot:

4. Replace that line with this:

5. Save your changes

If you still have trouble, let me know.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend,
    Bill

chowsir88
    Participant

Hello Bill,

I have two issues, first 10 menu group is not enough and I have approx 15-17 food menu categories over 200 items. How i can to add more for the menu group?

Second, Lunch and Dinner menu are the same categories but the Lunch menu has less items. How to create two different group? One for lunch and one for dinner?

Hope that you understand the questions and thanks

Bill Robbins

Ricky,

Instead of using the menu page template, you’ll most likely want to add the menu groups to your navigation directly. Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to the appearance section of your WordPress control panel and select Menu.
    2. In the top right hand corner, click “Screen Options” and make sure the box next to “Menu Group” is checked.
    3. Next look in the left hand column for the menu group section.
    4. You can now add your menu groups directly to your navigation.

Most likely you’ll want to make those sub-menu items since there are so many. If you need help with making navigation drop down menus, there is a quick video here:

You can assign any food item to as many menu groups as you need to. So if you have a sandwich that’s for lunch and supper you can just check the box next to both menu groups to include it there.

If you have any questions, let me know,
    Bill

chowsir88
    Participant

Hello Bill,

Just wondering that how can I add more Menu Group from 1 to Menu Group 20 was shown under “Theme options and Menu Page”. If possible and please advice.

chowsir88
    Participant

Hello Bill,

I have three menu items with long descriptions information and how to extended the menu descriptions over default max of characters.

Thanks

Bill Robbins

Ricky,

It is possible to add in more menu groups to the menu page template. You also might consider just adding the menu groups directly to your navigation as that will avoid some coding.

But if you do want to add more groups, here’s what to do:

1. Go to the appearance section of the theme options page and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose menu-loop.php.
    3. Scroll down to the bottom and you’ll see this:

<?php } // Close Menu 10 ?>

4. Right below that, paste this:

5. There are a couple of spots to edit here:
      1. Change the text that says “Menu Section Title” to the name of that menu section.
      2. Change the “Menu description” to the description of that section or delete it if you’re not going to need it. You can delete the <p> and </p> too.
      3. Lastly where it says “‘terms’ => 4” change the 4 to the ID of your menu group for that section. You can find that number by going to the menu group section of your WordPress control panel (Menu > Menu Group) and clicking the name of the menu group you’d like to go there. If you’ll look in your browser’s navigation bar, you’ll see part of the URL says something like this: tag_ID=7. That’s the ID of that menu group. Replace the 4 in the code above with the ID number.
    6. Repeat those steps for each extra menu group you need to change.
    7. Save your changes.

That will add in extra menu groups for you.

You can change the number of characters available for the menu descriptions. To do that, edit the menu-loop.php file again and look for each instance of this:

<?php the_content_limit(300, ""); ?>

Just change the 300 to the number of characters you’d like to have available. You will also want to change that in taxonomy-menu_group.php too (it’s only there once). Save your changes and you’ll have more characters to work with.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Enjoy your weekend,
    Bill

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Main Food Menu Page’ is closed to new replies.