Lost the database had to start again – need styling changes

Support Area Forums Foundation Lost the database had to start again – need styling changes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: petcoach.co.uk
  • Author
    Petrina Cutchey
    Participant

Hello

Somehow I managed to delete the database so I have had to rebuild my site from google cache records!

Only i can’t get the site to look the same as it did before I went through all my old help questions and made those changes to the CSS and the PHP files, but I still need help in the following areas

1. How do I make the background in all of the boxes (body text and widget body text) white and there be more cell padding between the text and the border of the box?
    2. How do I put text on the front page? It was there and then when I added slides to the slider it disappeared. Is it possible to have text in a box with a thick purple border and a white background under the slider on the homepage?)
    3. There is a big gap between the header, the tagline and the menu bar – I want the tagline to be to the right of the logo in the white box, and the menu bar butted up to the white header.

This is what I’ve put in the custom CSS box according to our conversations in 2013!

#navigation {
    top: 10px;
    }

#tagline {
    margin-right: 20px;
    }

hr.break {
    height: 30px;
    margin-left: -15px;
    margin-right: -15px;
    margin-bottom: 30px;
    background-color: #d8cbe2;
    }

.home #page-full {
    margin-top: 30px;
    }

#content,
    #page-full,
    .widget {
    border: 2px solid #000000;
    }

#content hr.break {
    margin-right: -17px;
    margin-left: -17px;
    border-top: 2px solid #68059e;
    border-bottom: 2px solid #68059e;
    }

#home-content {
    padding: 30px;
    background-color: #ffffff;
    }

Bill Robbins

Hello Petrina,

You might be able to rescue your database from your web host. Often times they have backups. It might be worth asking 🙂

For the background of your content area, let’s do this:

1. Go to your theme options page and choose the Style tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and add this:

#content {
      	padding: 30px;
      	margin-bottom: 30px;
      	background-color: #fff;
      }

3. Update your settings.

That should give you a white background behind the text and also some padding to keep the text off of the edge for you.

To place text on the home page, first edit your home page. Add the text you’d like to have there in the main text box. Then look in the right hand column for a drop down menu labeled attributes. Choose the home page template from that drop-down and update your page.

Next go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and click on Widgets. Into the Home Bottom widget area, add a Page Content widget. This widget lets you choose the content of any page and add it to a widget area. We can use it to add in the content from your home page, to the home page via a widget. That way you can place the content anyplace you’d like it to be.

I would turn off the tagline and incorporate its text into the logo image. That will give you better results.

Sorry about the database troubles. You might also install WP Backup to Dropbox which can automate backups of your site for you.

Take care,
    Bill

Petrina Cutchey
    Participant

ok great I did all that 🙂

Shall I edit my header height or is there a way it can fit at the height it currently is?

Also I thought the tagline helped with SEO?

Can you see on the classes page here, http://www.petcoach.co.uk/classes/ I wanted it to be in seperate boxes and the gridlines are there but they don’t match up with the content box?

I also want the borders of all of the boxes to be be that dark purple colour.

Thanks in advance!! I will use the back up tool.

Bill Robbins

You can edit the height of the logo or leave it as it is. There are lots of ways that could be handled. I think it will just work out better to have the text for the tagline in the logo in this situation.

Keep the logo in your settings so that it’s picked up in your page titles, but disable it in the theme options. On the page it doesn’t add much if anything to SEO.

It looks like you’re adding in a styled, horizontal rule (hr tag) between some of the content on the page. Those basically create some form of line across the page.

To make a box, you might be better off to wrap the content inside a div with a border and some padding applied to them.

This style in your custom css adds the border to your widgets and content area. It also sets the color:

#content,
    #page-full,
    .widget {
         border: 2px solid #000000;
    }

The #000000 is the color (black) so that’s the part you’ll want to change.

Take care,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Lost the database had to start again – need styling changes’ is closed to new replies.