Losing main page data

Support Area Forums Foundation Losing main page data

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Al Gerdes
    Participant

The site in question is not accessible from the internet as it is loaded on my two “development” machines.

On my development machines I use XAMP on Windows and MAMP Pro on the Macbook. Fresh installs of WordPress on both. Loaded “Foundation” as the new theme. Front page needs to be “static” and is set that way in the theme.

Created a sample set of data on the new home page. Upon viewing the page with the default template, the Page Sidebar shows along with the home page data.
    Changing the template to “home” as per instructions and the sidebars change to “Home Top” and “Home Bottom”. The data from the first page disappears. Note that the header, catch phrase and menu (with search) are present in both versions.

Without the homepage data, it is worthless to me.

Does anyone know what may be the culprit?

Bill Robbins

Al,

Thank you for your business first of all. Sorry for the confusion there. The home page template is set to use widgets for its content instead of whatever is entered into the page for content. That way you can more easily rearrange it and add in other content types.

If you don’t want to have a home page set up that way, you can. There are two things you’ll need to do in order to make that happen.

1. Don’t select the Home page template.
    2. Don’t name the page Home.

If you choose “Home” as the name of the page, WordPress will pick up the home page template and cause it to be displayed, just as if you had selected the template.

If you need to work out a way to display the content from your home page and use the home page template, that can be done. Just let me know where you’d like it to be shown in the page and I can send back instructions on how to do that. Essentially you could have it go full width below the home top section of the page or you could have it at the beginning of the home bottom widgets in either full, two thirds or one thirds width there.

Thanks,
    Bill

Al Gerdes
    Participant

Thanks Bill.
    As I’m new to Word Press (but an “old timer” in computers and programming), I am really having some “fun” making things work.

What was intended for the empty area on the page? (See my screen shots, lower image.)

Could you give a quick once over on how to make this template (“Foundation”) display those widgets in different places and perhaps add some of the other widgets available on the page? If you already have a tutorial on this, or know of one, I’d be most thankful. I’ve been unable to find one so far.

Bill Robbins

Welcome to WordPress Al. Great question too. That area is intended for the slideshow that’s in the demo. There’s a quick video at http://vimeo.com/72418138 that can show you how to add slides there.

You don’t have to use the home page template though. Most likely you’ll want to skip it if you don’t need the slideshow there. Another alternative would be to hide the home top and just leave the widgets of the home bottom.

If you go with the default template, you can add in widgets to the content area using a plugin called Widgets on Pages. I haven’t personally had a need to use it, but some people have found it helpful if that’s what you’re needing.

For the home page template, in the home bottom area, the widgets there use a script called masonry which will try to arrange them so they have no vertical gaps between them. Because of that, you can achieve different layouts by altering the order the widgets are placed there.

In the demo for example, we place the text widget before the featured post widget in order to cause them to line up in two columns that way. The Recent Comments and Featured Video are loaded after the featured posts, but because of that script, they line up next to it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Bill

Al Gerdes
    Participant

Just completed in a few minutes that which I spent all of yesterday unsuccessfully trying to figure out.

THANK YOU… THANK YOU… THANK YOU…

Bill Robbins

Glad that helped out Al. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Have a great week,
    Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Losing main page data’ is closed to new replies.