Links and menus

Support Area Forums Elite Links and menus

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: http://joe.co.com
  • Author
    Joe Miles
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Just putting a site together – loving Elite! Just going through the final bits and pieces so hope you don’t mind if I ask a few questions?!

1. I’ve created a splash page (/welcome), before the home page and added in a logo in the centre of the page. How do I make that logo a link to the home page, in the same way that the hero button is?

2. How can I make those links open in the same window, rather than a new one?

3. On the splash page I don’t want the menus to show, though I do on every other page, of course. How do I do that?

4. In the menus, ‘work’ should not be an actual link – i.e. I don’t want a ‘work’ page to open up, I just want it to be a way of accessing the pages in the menus?

5. Finally, how can I make the email address in the footer into a mailto: link?

Thank you for your patience!

Joe

Bill Robbins

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your business first of all. Great questions too. Let’s see if we can find answers for you.

1 & 3
    You can do make the entire hero section clickable. What you’ll want to do is add in the button for the hero section and the URL you’d like it to link to. Then we can use this to make the button be the full size of the hero area and also be transparent.

1. Go to your theme options page and choose the Advanced tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and add this:

.home .hero-button-holder,
      .home .hero-copy {
      	position: absolute;
      	top: 0;
      	left: 0;
      	right: 0;
      	bottom: 0;
      	width: 100%;
      }

.home .hero-copy .button.hero {
      	position: absolute;
      	top: 0;
      	width: 100%;
      	left: 0;
      	right: 0;
      	bottom: 0;
      	background: transparent;
      	text-indent: -999px;
      }

.home .hero-copy a:hover.button.hero {
      	background: transparent;
      }

.home #header nav {
      	display: none;
      }

3. Update your settings.

That will also hide your navigation menu on the home page too.

When you say you’d like links to open in the same window, do you mean your social icon links? There is a checkbox in the widget that lets you choose if the links open in a new window. I believe you can use that to cause them to open in the current window instead of a new one.

You can have a menu item that isn’t actually a link. Go to the navigation builder. Look in the left hand column for a box labeled “Links.” Click on it. You can use this to add a link to any URL.

To make a dummy link, remove the http:// that’s there by default and replace it with at # . Fill in the label to be whatever text you’d like to have and add it to your menu. You can then place items below it to have a placeholder in your menu system. Save your changes when you’re finished.

You can make your email address a link. In the theme options page, go to the Footer tab. In the editor space for the footer right, click on the “text” tab. Then highlight your text and click the link button. It will open up a small pop up where you can enter the link. Make it go to:

mailto:you@email.com

and update your settings. That should turn the text into a link.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Have a great weekend,
    Bill

Joe Miles
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Thank you for such a swift response – excellent service!

No.2 sorry – I didn’t clarify. I meant the link from the welcome to the home page shouldn’t open in a new window.

And also….

The social media buttons are set in from the left hand side – how can I justify them left?

How can I make the hero caption text non-italicised, and the button text non-caps?

On the ‘motion’ page, how can I change the size of the main content heading (i.e. the big ‘motion’ above the body text) and reduce the size of the body text box, so that there isn’t so much empty space?

Sorry for all the hassle. Thank you so much for your help,

Joe

Bill Robbins

Hello Joe,

Hope you had a great weekend. Let’s see if we can take care of these loose ends for you.

1 — The opening in a new window looks like a bug. I’m not sure how the button in the image format was changed so that it opens in a new window, but it shouldn’t have ever been that way. I just published an update to the theme that should fix that for you (and everyone else too).

2 — The social icons are centered within the widget, but you can left align them if you’d like to. Add this to the Custom CSS box and that should do it:

.widget ul.network-icons {
    	text-align: left;
    }

3 — This snippet will change the capitalization and the italics for the hero button and caption:

.hero-copy .button.hero  {
    	text-transform: none;
    }

.hero-copy p {
    	font-style: normal;
    }

4 — This snippet will let you control the font size of page titles:

h1.page-title {
    	font-size: 24px;
    }

and this will take out some of the padding/space:

.page #content article {
    	margin-bottom: 0;
    	padding-bottom: 0;
    }

Be sure to keep track of the bounce rate on your splash page. Having people never make it to your site’s content is a huge risk with using a splash page. Just keep an eye on it in your Google analytics to make sure you’re not loosing out on potential clients.

I hope that helps out. Have a great week,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Links and menus’ is closed to new replies.