Line 25 warning and creating a coming soon home page

Support Area Forums Grassroots Line 25 warning and creating a coming soon home page

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.seniorsrising.com
  • Author
    Carol Jones
    Participant

Hello:

It looks like lots of people are plagued by the “warning creating default object from empty value in … /includes/theme-customizer.php on line 25.” Is this warning because I am not using all the page widget sections? I have read that we should not worry about this, but when I make changes to the page while in the Customizer with that warning showing, I am unable to do a complete save and publish. Plus it is quite annoying. This happens on the real home page and on the one I created as a temporary landing page without navigation because the customer isn’t ready to enter content yet and they are still learning how. Is there something I need to do?

Related question: Is there a quick and easy way to create a page to use as a “working zone” or “coming soon” page with no navigation using this Grassroots template?

This website has had a rocky and slow start, but I’m sure I will have some more questions later.

Thank you for this template and for your forum.

Carol Jones

Bill Robbins

Hi Carol,

Sorry for the trouble there. I just published an update to the theme that I believe will help you out. If you ever need to access something in the customizer but it isn’t cooperating, every option there exists in another spot as well. All of the theme related items are also in the theme options page, including a few that aren’t in the customizer. Also the widgets, navigation menus and front page settings also have their own spots in the admin just in case you ever are in a jam.

One way to make a coming soon page would be to create a page and assign it as your home page. As long as no navigation menu is assigned to one of the theme’s locations, your visitors won’t be able to go deeper in the site than that.

Another option would be to use a plugin like Coming Soon CC (https://wordpress.org/plugins/cc-coming-soon/). It lets you add in a splash page that visitors who aren’t logged in see, while logged in admins get the actual site that’s under development. When I have to create a coming soon page, that’s how I go about it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Have a great Saturday,
    Bill

Carol Jones
    Participant

Thank you! I have updated the theme. No more warning message. Yay!

I made my own coming soon page by inactivating the navigation and other links that might have been showing. I hope it won’t need to be there long.

The link to a demo of the coming soon page on wordpress.org gave a 404 error. I was able to find the correct page link for their plugin though where they do have a demo, but I had already done my own version by then. I always like demo versions. https://shop.chop-chop.org/coming-soon/ I’m just mentioning this. It’s not your fault or problem.

Thank you for your prompt reply. More prompt than mine back.

Carol Jones

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Line 25 warning and creating a coming soon home page’ is closed to new replies.