Lightbox issue

Support Area Forums Selfie Lightbox issue

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Graeme O’Hara
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Delighted with the theme; for the most part it’s coming together really nicely but since I’m a novice with a capital N, a question has popped up.

I was keen to make sure that my hero images didn’t appear when my galleries were opened as it seemed a bit redundant, and I found an earlier post where someone asked about that and you suggested a piece of code that would take the hero image out. I used that and it did the job, only now my galleries seem to be out of sync – the caption for the hero image appears above the first gallery image (which is different) and the caption for the first image appears above the second etc. I also have a blank page at the end of the gallery that shouldn’t be there.

I appreciate any help you can give figuring that out – and apologies if this is something you’ve addressed already and I’ve missed the post!

Many thanks,

Graeme

Bill Robbins

Hello Graeme,

We do need the captions to line up with the right image. Would it be possible for you to send over a link to where you’re working with the theme so I can take a closer look for you?

Thanks,
    Bill

Graeme O’Hara
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bill Robbins

Thanks for sending over the link Graeme. I have tried every way I can think of to get around that and I don’t believe there is a way. The way the lightbox inserts captions is quite a bit different from how it adds in the images. The images go in a list so we can select any number in the list to manipulate.

The captions are not available that way so they can’t be manipulated like the images can be.

There is one more option that might work. I’ve started experimenting with it and so far have not been able to make it work. I’ve run up against having to pick my kids up from school, but I will try again later there. If I can find a way, I’ll post an update to this tread with details.

Bill

Graeme O’Hara
    Participant

Okay Bill.

To be honest, I’m quite happy doing without any captions at all but I’d really like to get rid of the empty page at the end if possible? It’s odd because I’ve found it tends to stick – once you click onto it the top and bottom bars won’t appear.
    Let me know if you have any joy.

I have a couple of other small points if you don’t mind:

A friend of mine who knows about these things has been checking my work and, since I’ve decided to include some text in photographs, he says it’s a good idea to include ‘alternative text’ so that Google will recognise those words. He tried to do it but ended up just copying the text in as captions. Can you suggest a method he can use?

Lastly, I realise as I use the site that my natural instinct is to click the back button to go back to the home blocks rather than go down to the cross on the bottom left. When I do that, it takes me away from the site though as it is in essence all on one page. Is there any way to set it up so that clicking the back button in the lightbox takes me to the Home Blocks?

Thanks again – I appreciate all your efforts!

Graeme

Bill Robbins

That is an excellent question about the alt text. The images in the lightbox are loaded on an as needed basis to speed up the loading of the site. Otherwise we’d have to wait for every image to be downloaded before seeing the site and that would take way too long.

They aren’t present in the page’s code in the same way that an image inserted into the middle of a blog post would be. Because of that there isn’t an alt tag to add the content to.

There is a title tag in each link that’s the same as the caption. I don’t know that I would place all the content into the caption, but a traditional caption would be a good option. It will be read by Google and while it’s different from an alt tag, it would let Google and other bots know what that image is about.

I don’t know of a way to make the back button on the browser close the lightbox. It’s not something that I’ve attempted to cook up before.

So sorry about that. I’m afraid I’m having unusually poor success helping out today.

Bill

Graeme O’Hara
    Participant

Not to worry Bill – if you’re able to come up with any way to resolve the dead screen at the end of the galleries though (while still retaining the code to keep the hero image out of the gallery) that would be great. It’s the main thing concerning me.

Thank you!

Graeme

Bill Robbins

Hello Graeme,

I had a brainstorm this morning about a different approach to opening the lightbox and it looks like I’ve finally made it so the hero image is not included in the gallery. You can always add it along with a caption like any other image, but it’s not automatically there.

If you want to give it a shot, you can download the changed theme (https://support.organizedthemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/selfie.zip) and install it on your site. Once it’s activated I believe that give you the results you’re looking for. Make sure to remove the Custom CSS that hides the first slide though.

Let me know how that goes. If we don’t run into any problems, I will likely roll this into the next update to the theme.

Thanks,
    Bill

Graeme O’Hara
    Participant

Outstanding Bill, that’s exactly what I needed, thanks so much. Just a heads up for you – I noticed on the new version you sent that when I preview the HomeBlocks the cross is missing from the bottom right hand corner to view the gallery. It’s not a problem for me just now – I’m making the changes I need and they’re working beautifully on the site, it’s only the preview that seems to have a wee issue.

I’m a Scot so it’s in my blood to get every penny’s worth out of your support here so lastly:

I used the code to animate the text on the Home Blocks – it worked but I have my text justified over on the right hand side and the animation code pulls it into the middle of the screen. Is there something I’m missing that will let it animate and stay on the right side?

And finally, is there somewhere I should go to review your theme, because I really am happy with the site and am frankly blown away by the speed and helpfulness of your support?

Many thanks again,

Graeme

Bill Robbins

Graeme,

That’s fantastic that it worked like you were wanting. I knew there had to be some way to make that work.

Thanks for letting me know about the individual block view. I’ll have that patched for the public release for everyone.

I believe we can right align the text in the home blocks for you. Let’s give this a try:

1. Go to your theme options page and choose the Advanced tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and add this:

.cbp-so-side-right {
      	text-align: right;
      }

3. Update your settings.

Let me know how that goes. If it doesn’t work, if you can leave the animations in there and that’ll help me root out the trouble.

I always appreciate reviews. If you’d like to email a quick testimonial over to support@organizedthemes.com I’d love to include it on our site.

Have a great weekend,
    Bill

Graeme O’Hara
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the additional code on Friday. I’ve tried it out and it hasn’t quite done the trick though I’m afraid.

As you suggested, I’ve applied the animation to the first home block down on the site so you can see how the animation is working but have left all the other untouched, so you can see where I’d ideally like the text to land after the animation.

Just for clarity, so you know what it is I did, I’ve added the animation code in the ‘text’ tab on the Homeblock Edit page for the relevant block, and the new code you sent into the advanced tab of the Theme Options page. Let me know if any of that is incorrect as that could be the problem!

Many thanks once again!

Graeme

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Graeme,

That helps out quite a bit. Let’s try adding this to your Custom CSS and see how that goes:

.cbp-so-side {
    	width: 100%;
    }

See if that won’t allow the text to enter from the left and span all the way to the right.

Let me know how that goes,
    Bill

Graeme O’Hara
    Participant

Just the ticket Bill, that’s perfect.

I’ll leave you in peace now – the site is just as I want it so I’m delighted. I will pen a wee testimonial and send it to your email address for you to use as you see fit.

Thanks so much again for all your help!

Graeme

Bill Robbins

Always happy to help out 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Lightbox issue’ is closed to new replies.