Join list button and Mailchimp

Support Area Forums Foundation Join list button and Mailchimp

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Participant

I have signed up with mailchimp and started a list. I entered the mailchimp api id and list id but when I click on the join list button I get the following error…

The requested URL /wordpress/< was not found on this server.

Bill Robbins

I made a change to the newsletter form to better support WordPress installations in sub-directories. Here’s how to make the change yourself:

1) Go to the appearance section and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2) From the list of files on your right, choose newsletter-bar.php. Look for this spot:

and replace it with this:

3) Save your changes and then open up widget-newsletter.php and make the same change there.

That should allow you to more easily sign up with a network installation or WordPress in a sub-directory.

greg pelayre
    Participant

When I click on the “join” Button on the newsletter bar, It goes to my blog page instead of a mailchimp sign up page. Please help.

Thank you.

Bill Robbins

Here’s one option for you. Go to the appearance section of your WordPress control panel and select edit to open up the theme editor. From the list of files on your right, choose newsletter-bar.php and look for this spot:

<form id=”signup” action=”<?php echo get_permalink(); ?>” method=”post”>

<form id=”signup” action=”<?php echo bloginfo(‘url’); ?>” method=”post”>

save your changes and see if that doesn’t help the sign up box for you.

greg pelayre
    Participant

Now it’s going to a “HTTP 404 Not Found” page. here is where its going to:

http://www.pmfhawaii.com/test/”Pacific?email=Your+Email+Address&submit=Join

Bill Robbins

Any chance you could send a login so I could take a closer look?

Bill Robbins

Thanks Greg. It looks like the forum changed the quotes from being regular ones to fancy ones and that was causing the error. I swapped them out and tried a submission on your site and it didn’t pull up an error this time. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Steven Fry
    Participant

I have the same issue with the Mail Chimp widget. I canged the code you mentioned but the join button still goes to a blog page.

Bill Robbins

You’re right. That could send you to the wrong post and not complete the sign up. Edit the widget-mailchip.php file and look for this spot:

<form id=”signup” action=”<?php echo get_permalink(); ?>” method=”post”>

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Steven Fry
    Participant

Well the good news is that the optin email was sent. But now instead of the blog page showing up the home page shows up with text typed over the widget. When I use a text widget with code from MailChimp it goes to the correct page but takes a while to load.

Bill Robbins

If you’d like to send a link, I’d be happy to take a closer look. On the demo, the widget is completing a sign up request at the same speed as the other pages load (http://www.organizedthemes.com/try/foundation/sponsor-group/corporate/).

Steven Fry
    Participant

That demo page did the same thing; type over the widget text.

Bill Robbins

I recently added a description area to the MailChimp widget and that seems to be throwing off the notification. I just uploaded an update that has the subscription code from above as well as this code below. If you’d like to add it in yourself here’s how.

1) Go to the appearance section of your WordPress control panel and select edit to open up the theme editor (or use the off-line editor of your choice).
    2) From the list of files on your right, choose style.css.
    3) Scroll down to the very bottom and paste this:

.widget #notification {
    position: absolute;
    width: 265px;
    z-index: 20;
    font-size: 12px;
    font-style: italic;
    top: 33px;
    left: 4px;
    background-color: #fff;
    padding: 14px;
    }

4) Save your changes.

Steven Fry
    Participant

Oh man, sorry to be a pain but…. First, Thank You for your assistance. I added that code to the css and I like the way it changed the results but a lot of the text in the box is whited over. I am refering to the text before hitting the button. I am fairly new to WordPress and really appreciate your theme and assiatance. The site I am working on is http://testing.time2shinefoundation.com. Everything is still “rough draft”.

Steven Fry
    Participant

Oh, and it appears that the header and menu bar both got messed up after I updated the css. Ugh

greg pelayre
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Yes I am having the same problem as Steven. The text: “Check your email
    to confirm your subscription” is displayed over the widget after an email is submitted by clicking the join button. The mailchimp is working however.

Thanks,
    Greg

Bill Robbins

Ok small change to the style snippet above:

.widget #notification {
    width: 265px;
    z-index: 20;
    font-size: 12px;
    font-style: italic;
    top: 33px;
    left: 4px;
    background-color: #fff;
    }

The only difference is I removed the padding: 14px; which should remove the actual box when there isn’t a notification.

Bill Robbins

Steven,

To set the title and tagline from overlapping, find this spot in your style.css:

#tagline {
    right: 0;
    top: 45px;
    }

#tagline {
    right: 0;
    top: 35px;
    width: 250px;
    }

That will wrap the tagline to two lines and move it up slightly to compensate fot the additional height.

Steven Fry
    Participant

Mail widget fixed! Thank You! I forgot to mention that the tagline was fine in Firefox, IE9 was where I saw it messed up. I used the code and it fixed it on both but; I like it on IE9, on firefox the space is so large as to make it noticable.

Steven Fry
    Participant

And on IE9 the navigation menu still hides behind the video. I am going to see if I can go backwards with the code changes I made and start over with the mail widget.

Steven Fry
    Participant

Update: I un-did all the code changes and still had the same problems in IE9; Header overlapping and navigation menus hiding behind the video. Maybe I just didn’t notice before? So I changed the code to fix the mail widget and switched from video to slides and the menus drop again. Since I have not added slides yet I am not sure that is permanent. Try again tomorrow…..

Bill Robbins

Steven,

If you’re using a Flash video, then that’s the problem. In Windows, you can’t position a HTML element like the navigation drop-down over a Flash video.

The easiest solution is to use a HTML5 video player if it’s available to you as that should take care of the issue itself. Personally I’m a fan of Vimeo’s player so I use it for most of the videos I create myself.

If you can’t use a HTML5 player, there is another way that works sometimes. I have used this solution from http://www.daniweb.com/web-development/web-design/html-and-css/threads/51184 on sites before and it’s worked. You could give this a try:

To edit an existing HTML page, add the WMODE parameters to the HTML code.

1. Add the following parameter to the OBJECT tag:

2. Add the following parameter to the EMBED tag:

wmode=”transparent”

See if one of those options doesn’t work for you.

Bruno Kucinskas
    Participant

Same question: When I click on the “join” Button on the newsletter bar, It goes to my blog page instead of a mailchimp sign up page. Please help.

I’ve spent no less than 2 hours on this to no avail. Something doesn’t seem to be jiving. http://bitcoin100.org/

Thank you,
    Bruno

PS: I love this theme. Moreover, why I choose to purchase from you is because of your support section. You always seem to be on the ball.

Bruno Kucinskas
    Participant

This is odd! No answer to my request. I need this to work ASAP, but now at a standstill.

Bill Robbins

So sorry Bruno. I thought I answered this on Tuesday night.

I just gave your sign up box another try and it appeared to work properly (you can see a quick screenshot at http://d.pr/nTl2

I checked the email account and a confirmation email was there (I went on and confirmed it).

It looks like you have it set up properly. Once the email address is entered and submitted, the home page (or inside page if you’re using the widget) will be reloaded with a confirmation message.

If you need a two part form for signing up, you can do that, but it will take some modifying. I’d recommend Gravity Forms to set up a form like that. Their developer version includes a MailChimp add-on that will let you do that. I use it for most every site that I’m a part of.

Let me know if you need any other help.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘Join list button and Mailchimp’ is closed to new replies.