Itunes Podcast

Support Area Forums Kerygma Itunes Podcast

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.agapebapist.com
  • Author
    plsmith
    Participant

Hey Bill,

Been working the past few days/maybe weeks on getting podcast from our site to iTunes. I’ve read several forums on the site and can’t seem to get it figured out…

Currently, I am getting a message from iTunes that they can’t submit the feed – There is no explicit tags. Or explicit tag is empty.

I have a sermon page that host the sermons on our website.

http://www.agapebaptist.com/series/

and I also created a separate page that is an audio feed (after reading the forum) and that is the link I am sending to iTunes. This appears to be an RSS feed, but I don’t know…This link seems to be why I am getting an error

http://www.agapebaptist.com/itunes-podcast/

I have also changed the audio feed options in theme options as well. I have fill out all the content that is needed on that page.

So this what I have done thus far. I feel like I am close but really don’t know. No magic yet! What would you recommend?

Thanks so much Bill.

Bill Robbins

Hi Parker,

Submitting can sometimes be rather frustrating. I did spot two things that you’ll need to change in the feed. One is the category. The feeds have a set group of categories and sub-categories you can find at http://feedvalidator.org/docs/error/InvalidItunesCategory.html . You’ll likely want “Religion & Spirituality” as the category and then “Christianity” as the sub-category. Make sure to use an ampersand for the and there as it can be picky.

Also each podcast episode needs to have the duration filled in. It doesn’t have to be accurate, but the spot for the length of the file needs to have a value in each episode.

Change those items and try to revalidate again. Previously the explicit tag was optional. If it still doesn’t work after changing those items, we can manually add it in.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
    Bill

plsmith
    Participant

Bill,

Thanks for your response. We’ve gone through and changed all durations in the individual podcast episodes. We’ve also updated the category and subcategory. When I go to iTunes Connect for the podcast I am getting the message,

“Can’t submit your feed. There is no explicit tag in your feed, or the explicit tag is empty.”

One podcast duration question. For duration input it says… hours:minutes:seconds.

Is the correct response for thirty-eight minutes and forty-seven seconds a or b?
    A) 38:47
    B) 00:38:47

We filled in already with option A. If that is correct, what should we do next?

Thanks!

Parker

Bill Robbins

Hi Parker,

Thanks for making those changes. I just ran the feed through a validator and tried manually subscribing in iTunes and it worked and passed both so that’s a good sign. The last time it did not.

I do not see where iTunes is requiring the explicit tag, but you can absolutely add it if it’s giving you trouble. Here’s how to add it:

1. In your WordPress dashboard click on Appearance on the left and choose edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose podcast-feed-page.php and scroll down just a bit until you see this:

</itunes:category>

3. Right below that add this:

Please visit the support site directly to copy that code.

and save your changes.

See how that works out for you. Let me know what you turn up.

Bill

plsmith
    Participant

Bill,

Thanks so much for your help. The iTunes podcast is looking great! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/agape-baptist-church-podcast/id1083199453

One question, it looks like the iTunes podcast may have synced with our last 20 podcasts.

In dashboard edit mode, we have 64 podcasts. The pages divide the podcasts into groups of 20. Since there is only twenty podcasts on iTunes it looks like iTunes synced with our first page only. Is that correct?

What can we do to feature all 64 of the podcasts on iTunes?

Thanks for all your help with this!

Parker

Bill Robbins

Hi Parker,

Glad things are looking good!

You can change the number of items in the feed. I can’t promise that iTunes will pick them up, but we can make them available with a small change. Here’s what to do:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and click on Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, click on podcast-feed-page.php
    3. Look down for this line:

<?php $recent = new WP_Query("post_type=podcast&showposts=20"); while($recent->have_posts()) : $recent->the_post(); ?>

and change the 20 there to a larger number and save your changes.

If I remember correctly, they’ll only follow a feed so far back. You will see podcasts that have more episodes, but those are generally podcasts that have existed longer. That could have changed though.

Have a great week,
    Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Itunes Podcast’ is closed to new replies.