Is it that complicated?

Support Area Forums Curator Is it that complicated?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Matt
    Participant

Bill, I thought this was going to be a simple theme. By the looks of it there’s not that much here. Problem: I cannot seem to get my images to display on the slider (or the slider to display period). I have added some images to my portfolio, but I do not see this “collections” area that seems to be talked about. I have worked with themes much more complicated and there just doesn’t seem to be enough info within the theme to direct me.

I just updated to the 2.1.1 version and thought that would help. No luck. What I am looking is a very simple site and I’m having trouble getting that. I tried to install the sample data.xml, but the importer that WP gives you says it’s not a valid format. I’ve used importer before and didn’t have this issue. Is it because of WP 3.5…maybe?

Can you help…please?

Matt
    Participant

Well I got the .xml sample data upload and it partially helped me. I found out in order to get the slider to display (at least for me) you have to have at least one of the footer widgets utilized. The only problem ( that I happened to stumble upon) is that it has to be a certain widget or at least a certain height size. I’m not sure if this is a bug, but I don’t like it. Trying to figure out which widgets work in order to get the slider to display is ridiculous. I also don’t understand how in the Top Menu you are able to get “Portfolio” to display beside of your drop down pages under “Collections”. I do not see this as an option. I have created a sample portfolio and mine does not display on the the left side under pages. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong or not doing, but it shouldn’t be this complicated.

Bill Robbins

Matt,

Sorry for any confusion. We did make some rather large changes to how the portfolio section in version 2.0. Previously you had to create a collection with individual portfolio items in it and then add that collection to your navigation.

With 2.0 and higher, we simplified it by removing the collections and allowing multiple images to be uploaded to each portfolio. There’s a quick explanation of how that works in the theme instructions (https://support.organizedthemes.com/3449/curator/).

Also the theme changed from having too. Previously the home page was visible with WordPress’ default reading settings (front page shows latest posts). We’re changing that in all our themes so that there is home page template that you can use with any page. Then you assign that page to the front page in your reading settings. The main reason for that is it allows for easier set up of a blog page.

Now to add an image to your home page, after you upload the image, just choose “yes” on the option “include on front page” and that image will be visible there.

For the navigation menu where it says “collections” that’s an empty link. You can create one in the navigation builder (Appearance > Menu) in the Custom Link box that’s in the left hand column. Just use a # for the URL and whatever text you’d like to have in your menu for the label. Add it your menu and place where you’d like it to go.

I’m just using it as a placeholder so I can a drop-down for the various portfolios. Really I’m just trying to force drop-down menus for demonstration purposes.

I am a bit perplexed about the footer widgets though. I ran a quick test and it still worked for me:

http://d.pr/i/X40R

Any chance you could send a link to your site so I can take a closer look at that for you?

Essentially what you want to do is create a new portfolio for each grouping of images you’d like to have. Upload all images that you’d like to show in that individual portfolio on that portfolio. Only images uploaded on that portfolio will be shown there.

Once you’ve added your images, publish it and then add it to your navigation if you’d like to.

Then choose which images in your media library you’d like to have on your home page by choosing “yes” on “include on front page” when editing that image. WordPress used to show the “include on front page option” immediately following the upload completing. With the new media library in 3.5, you now have to click “edit” on the image before you can make that choice.

If I can help, just let me know,
    Bill

Matt
    Participant

Yes, well all that you talked about seems simple enough. I thought I would figured it out by now. The thing is I’ve done all you said above and my template is not responding the way you’ve mentioned. I can set you up as a user on my backend and let you take a look from there. Remind you that my site is not in the root, but within a subfolder. I don’t want to take down my current site yet. Not sure if that affects anything or not.

I am not able to get my sub menu to show up under my Top Nav either. I’ve even used your images just how you have them on the demo and put them under the portfolio tab but nothing. Can you check out the backend and let me know why it’s not working.

I am also a little confused what the difference is between the Gallery and the Portfolio.

Here is my login link. I will send the login info to your email.

http://www.creationgraphx.com/wp/wp-login.php

I have questions on customization, but I want to get the layout down first.

Bill Robbins

Matt,

It looks like all of the troubles can be traced to a javascript problem with the Mini Twitter Feed widget. It unregisters the version of jQuery that’s included with WordPress and loads one from Google. That was causing the drop-down menu and the slider to not work. I deactivated the plugin, WordPress went back to using it’s bundled jQuery and the slider and menus started to work again.

If you run into any questions or trouble, just let me know,
    Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Is it that complicated?’ is closed to new replies.