Increasing Footer Size

Support Area Forums Forward Increasing Footer Size

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Participant

Hey Bill,

So the website I’m working on needs a bigger footer so I can add two or three lines of info ie Copyrite info, charity number and vat number. I tried just putting a <br/> code in the Footer Right Text field in the customisation page but it just gets stripped out.

Any ideas how I can do this?

Cheers,
    Sam

Bill Robbins

Hello Sam,

Excellent question. The only way I know to do that is to make an edit to the footer. I believe it would be possible to change the data sanitization of that field, but that would not be as easy or update friendly as altering the footer, so let’s go that route.

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and choose Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose footer.php
    3. Track down this line:

<p>&copy; <?php echo date('Y'); ?> <?php bloginfo('name'); ?></p> 

and add your content there.

4. Save your changes.

That should cause your custom content to display as long as the footer left field in the customizer is empty. If there is content in it, it’ll display instead of the modification.

To make this update friendly you can then copy your modified footer.php file into a child theme. That way it won’t be lost when the theme is updated.

Let me know if you run into trouble.

Bill

Participant

Ah good ol’ hardcoding 🙂 Do you know if it’ll keep the formatting of the site or do I need to specify inline css?

Bill Robbins

It should keep the same text formatting, especially if you wrap it in paragraph tags. The footer should stretch to accommodate the additional content there too.

Participant

Awesome thanks!

Bill Robbins

Anytime 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Increasing Footer Size’ is closed to new replies.