IE8 crashing

Support Area Forums Elite IE8 crashing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Paul Spiller
    Participant

Bill,

I am not sure if this is a template problem or a wordpress (3.8) problem or of course a “paul” problem but I am very confused.

I developed a site at a temp URL which works fine including IE8 after your help. http://designshack.com.au/demo3/

I did not move the site (demo3) to its final url – I rebuilt from basic wordpess 3.8 on a new hosting provider and added to it – http://medicooler.com.au

they both work fine and as expected in safari (mac) and firefox (on windows) but alas, IE8 again causes trouble and this time its got me. The final url crashes IE8 with no obvious reason.

I have changed the style.css (responsive section – just removed the first media size code) and custom css and it all works fine on all except IE8. I expected maybe a styling issue which I can deal with but not a total failure.

This may not be your problem as in a template issues but can you point me in the right direction please. Just a clue will do.

If there is a simple answer I would really not like to start again.

I would really appreciate your comments.

Paul

Bill Robbins

Paul,

That is rather confusing. If you strictly copied the site over — moved files and the database over so that everything except the URL’s are exactly the same, then I would tend to think it’s a server related issue.

If it’s not an exact copy, then I would look at what’s different between the two. Most likely it’s something in the differences that’s causing the problem.

Let me know what you turn up and if I can help.

Thanks,
    Bill

Paul Spiller
    Participant

Thanks Bill,

While I swap things about, attached is an error message that may give you a clue.

Paul

Paul Spiller
    Participant

Bill,

I restored all css changes to no avail.

But, as you say, there was one difference between the two sites – I had installed a plugin “woocommerce Menu Cart”. I deactivated that and Voila! it all worked again and IE8 was happy.

I know it is supposed to be a first in fault finding check – removing plugins – but “a little plugin like that” ?

I learnt an important lesson. I wonder how many others are having the same problem .

Anyway, thanks again for your moral support. Response from “the guru” always helps.

ps – your Elite template supports woocommerce well and is easy to tailor – my site ended up nothing like your demo.

Paul

Bill Robbins

Paul,

Glad to hear that you found the culprit. I’ve wasted countless hours chasing down things that IE didn’t like. Thankfully the newer version are getting better, but it still always makes me anxious to open it up to test a site.

It’s good to hear that you had a good time customizing it. I shoot to make things flexible, but until a theme is out in the wild, it’s hard to know for sure how successful it will be at that.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Enjoy your weekend,
    Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘IE8 crashing’ is closed to new replies.