How do you make home page the landing page

Support Area Forums Foundation How do you make home page the landing page

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question: http://4patientsafety.org
  • Author
    Eric Andrist
    Participant

I’ve spent hours and hours trying to figure out how to use this…I’m usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out, but this theme has me stumped.

When I first activated the theme, it didn’t look much at all like the example sight. I had no slider, menus, widgets or anything on my landing page.

So I created a new page and chose the “home” option, now I can see those things, but the link is not my landing page.

So how do I make the home page the landing page?

It appears my landing page just has my test post on it and nothing else.

4patientsafety.org

http://4patientsafety.org/home-page/

Bill Robbins

Hello Eric,

Sorry for the trouble tracking that down. At the top of the theme instructions at https://support.organizedthemes.com/epic/ there are some instructions and images to show you where to change that setting. In your dashboard go to Settings and then Reading. At the top of this screen you can choose what you front page displays.

It’s also available customizer which is in the appearance section. There is a spot there labeled static front page where you can make those changes.

Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Eric Andrist
    Participant

Wow…that was fast…thank you!

I got an error notice that my post didn’t post, so I reposted it, but I don’t think that went through. I had added a couple more items at the bottom, so I’ll ask here if that’s ok.

There appears to be no menu dropdowns across the top and no welcome box (top right) like on the example page.

When I go to the menu page and put a check mark in a page box, the “add to menu” option is grayed out.

Bill Robbins

Glad that helped out. Let’s find answers for your other questions.

You can set up your navigation menus by going to the Appearance section and selecting Menus. There you can create a menu and add it to one of the theme’s navigation locations.

The welcome box on the demo is an “action widget” that’s been added to the home top widget area. You can add widgets now inside the customizer. Go to Appearance and choose Customize and there will be a spot there for widgets. Click on the arrow to open up the widget panel and you can add and edit your widgets.

The home top widget area is intended to be roughly the same height as the slider on the left. Generally you want top place any other widgets for the home page in the home bottom sidebar.

The “Add to Menu” checkbox sounds like it’s been added by a plugin. It may be available once a navigation menu is created, but I can’t say for certain not know which plugin it is.

Let me know if you need anything else,
    Bill

Eric Andrist
    Participant

Is it ok if I continue here, or should I create a new topic for new topics?

re: Press Releases

I’m trying to make the press release page more like the posts page, with just snippets of the text. I found how to your the “insert read more tag” but it doesn’t seem to work. I’ve entered two press releases and neither one will use the tag properly. I found another support post where you said to take out extra spaces around it, but that didn’t seem to work either.

Also, there’s a white bar on my main page, I can’t figure out why it’s there or how to get rid of it. It’s under the Welcome box on the upper right of the page.

Thank you for your awesome and very quick help! I’m really loving working with this theme.

Bill Robbins

Always happy to help out. It looks like the white box is a video widget that doesn’t have a video in it. If you remove that from the home top sidebar that should take care of the box for you.

If I remember correctly, the Read More tag doesn’t work on WordPress pages without a bit of extra coaxing. Let’s try this:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and choose Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose page-press-archive.php
    3. Scroll down until you see this (line: 40):

<?php the_content(); ?>

and replace that with this:

<?php

global $more;
      	$more = 0;

the_content(); 

?>

(Be sure to copy the code from the support site and not the notification email).

4. Save your changes.

See if that won’t allow the read more link to work like we hope it would here.

Let me know if it doesn’t do the trick,
    Bill

Eric Andrist
    Participant

Hi Bill,

The font size for the staff page names is slightly too large, I think that’s h2? How would I change that to make it a bit smaller?

Bill Robbins

Hello Eric,

It is possible to adjust the size of the staff member’s names. Here’s how:

1. Go to your theme options page and choose the Style tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and add this:

.staff-details h2 {
      	font-size: 30px;
      }

3. Update your settings.

That should make them a little smaller. You can adjust the 30 to a different size to get the right fit.

See if that doesn’t do the trick for you,
    Bill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘How do you make home page the landing page’ is closed to new replies.