How do I change the default font size for page content and page title.

Support Area Forums Authentic How do I change the default font size for page content and page title.

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    ACCess
    Participant

How do I change the default font size for page content , and for the Page Title – I’ve successfully managed to change the widget fonts as per your instructions. I am not a css user and not proficient in html.

Bill Robbins

No one was born with knowledge of CSS or HTML so you’re in the same boat every professional was in at one point.

Here’s how to change the font-size for page content. Go to the “Colors and Styling” section of the theme options again. Scroll down to the very bottom for the custom css box. Paste this code in there to control the page paragraph size fonts:

.wrap p, .wrap li, .wrap { font-size: 18px; }

You can adjust the size by changing the 18 to a different pixel size. Next to change the page titles, you’d use this:

.page h1 { font-size: 32px; }

Again change the 32 to adjust the size.

ACCess
    Participant

thanks Bill for your promptness and patience – great customer service! I am recommending you to all that ask about our new website.

Bill Robbins

I’m glad I could help and thanks for the recommendations. I do appreciate it.

Jon Gilgoff
    Participant

Hello Bill:

I have an HTML question. I’m trying to set up a page using the HTML option but it doesn’t seem to be working (it just displays as plain text).
    Here’s the ‘code’ I’m using:

I have the Foundation theme (an older version) and I’m using the default template. Any
    advice on how to proceed?

Thanks!

Jon Gilgoff
    Participant

Whoops, it looks like the html code didn’t show on that last one. Let me try again:

Thanks!!

Bill Robbins

Jon,

Sorry it’s a bit tough to post code. I use a service at gist.github.com to enter code and then paste links to it in the forum.

Thanks

Jon Gilgoff
    Participant

Okay, I entered the code on gist. Here’s the link:

https://gist.github.com/93bc9fbcfa518626693c

Hopefully that works!

Bill Robbins

You’re on the right track. If you’d like to make that change across the entire theme, here’s how.

1. Go to the appearance section and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose style.css
    3. Scroll down to the very bottom and paste this:

p { font-family: verdana; color: blue; font-size: 18px; }

4. Save your changes.

You also might try a plugin called Fontific. It’s a good typography editor.

Jon Gilgoff
    Participant

Thanks for the response, Bill! Actually, though, I know how to change font across the entire theme. I’m having a problem getting the HTML to work on specific pages (note: the HTML works fine in the sidebars).

As you know, when you’re entering text into a page template you’re given two options:
    Visual or HTML. When I enter text using the HTML option it doesn’t work–the page displays as plain text.

Here’s the link to the code I’m using:

https://gist.github.com/93bc9fbcfa518626693c

I have the Foundation theme (v 1.1.1) and I’m using a default template (the HTML option doesn’t work on the other page templates either.) Any advice on how to proceed? Do I need a specific plug in??

Thanks for all your help with this! I’ve been recommending Organized Themes to everyone I know!!

Bill Robbins

Just to be clear, when you’re entering the HTML into the HTML tab of the page editor, you’re not including the <html> and <body> tags? You’re only using <p style=”font-family: verdana; color: blue; font-size: 18px;”;>Your content<p> right?

Jon Gilgoff
    Participant

Hello Bill:

I’ve tried it WITH the , tags and WITHOUT. Neither way works. Here’s a link to the Edit Page in our Dashboard:

http://brothersontherise.org/wpfiles/wp-admin/post.php?post=46&action=edit&message=10

if you want to take a look.

Thanks!!

Jon Gilgoff
    Participant

I meant I’ve tried it with the html and body tags and without the tags.

Bill Robbins

I took a look at the source code of your site. For the text widgets, do leave out the body and html tags. You should be fine with just the paragraph ones.

For the actual page content, what the WordPress visual editor does, is it wraps the content you’d like to adjust in a span tag that looks something like this:

Spans are inline elements, so you can place them inside your paragraph tags if you’d like to.

Since this is how the Visual editor adds the styling, I’d suggest going that route too.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Jon Gilgoff
    Participant

Hi Bill:

Well I must be doing something wrong because I still can’t get it to work.
    Here’s a link to the Edit Page in our Dashboard if you want to take a look:

http://brothersontherise.org/wpfiles/wp-admin/post.php?post=46&action=edit

Thanks!!

Jon Gilgoff
    Participant

Oh wait, I just tried it with a different browser and it worked!!
    Thanks for all your help!!

Bill Robbins

That’s great news Jon. Let me know if you need anything else.

jaelt
    Participant

Bill- I’m not getting the CSS code you suggested to work. I’d like to reduce the size of text in the paragraphs. Suggestions? (Bottega theme)

jaelt
    Participant

I also can’t get Google Fonts plugin to change the font in the “pages/menu options” on the top right – next to the logo. I can change the headings, roll-over buttons and paragraph text, but not the pages.

Bill Robbins

Jaelt,

I’d be glad to help out. Any chance you could post a link to your site so I can take a closer look?

Thanks,
    Bill

jaelt
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

Jaelt,

To change the navigation menu items with the plugin, you’ll need to use this in the box for Custom CSS that it provides:

#navigation li  { font-family: 'Allura', arial, serif; }

That will change the navigation items to the Allura font. I saw you were also loading Droid Serif. If you’d like to use it, the code would look like this:

#navigation li  { font-family: 'Droid Serif', arial, serif; }

Give that a try and let me know if you have any questions.

Your site looks great by the way. I’d love to include it in our new showcase if that’s ok with you.

Bill

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘How do I change the default font size for page content and page title.’ is closed to new replies.