Homepage slideshow not loading

Support Area Forums Elite Homepage slideshow not loading

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: http://theatretallahassee.org
  • Author
    Melissa Findley
    Participant

Hoping you can help.

We’ve been using this theme now, regularly, since November. My boss recently informed me that the homepage hero slideshow no longer loads for him or our Executive Director. All they get is the white space with the header bar and the rest of the page below the hero space. Both are running Windows 10, using Chrome and they also checked it in IE and Firefox with the same problem. They’ve tried clearing their caches, disabling plugins and making sure everything is up to date.

I’ve checked the site on Windows 10, & 7, as well as Mac OS, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and IE. I cannot replicate the problem. Our IT person thinks it might be related to the internet provider, but I tossed the question out to some of our user base to see if any of them have experienced it as well. Unfortunately more of them have than I would like. It doesn’t seem to be consistent to a particular browser or OS and while it’s happening more frequently for Comcast users it’s not restricted just to them. Mobile viewers don’t appear to experience this problem.

Can you please look at the site and let me know if I’ve done something that’s breaking it for some people (but not everyone)? Or if there’s something I can do to optimize it so that it doesn’t time out on load and just refuse to load?

We are using caching, and I’ve done what I can to keep file sizes small without compromising quality.

Bill Robbins

Hi Melissa,

Don’t you hate situations that you can’t duplicate? It’s like that sound in your car that only shows up every now and again that your mechanic can’t tack down.

I tested the site here in Birmingham via my Mac on Charter Internet and also via my iPhone on AT&T. I didn’t run into issues there, so I used Pingdom Tools to check the site from Amsterdam, to Dallas to Melbourne, Australia. The screenshot appeared in all which is a good sign.

But that doesn’t help us fix the intermittent issue.

For troubleshooting, I would try disabling caching first and test without it for a bit. See if that helps the slideshow to appear more consistently. I have seen some caching plugins, especially ones that minify cause trouble like that. It’s less common than it was 3+ years ago, but it does happen.

Let me know how that goes and we’ll go from there.

Have a great weekend,
    Bill

Melissa Findley
    Participant

Just wanted to give you an update to let you know how we fixed the problem.

Our IT guy finally had to use my boss’s computer to track down the error. Turns out that Cloud Flare uses Rocket Loader to help with java loading. Unfortunately, it seems as though a recent update has done something that causes an error when loading images and java.

We disabled Rocket Loader on our site and the problem immediately resolved itself. If you have any other customers currently using Cloud Flare who experience this problem, you might want to have them try disabling it as well, at least until it updates again and hopefully fixes the conflict.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200168056

Bill Robbins

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the update. That certainly is a crazy situation indeed. Glad you found a resolution to get the images back up again. Hopefully they will patch CloudFare quickly so everyone is good to go. I bet some users are having this trouble and aren’t aware that it is happening because it hasn’t happened to them yet.

Take care,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Homepage slideshow not loading’ is closed to new replies.