Home page with a portfolio group

Support Area Forums Selfie Home page with a portfolio group

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
URL to the page in question: http://ji.is
  • Author
    Peter Hedrich
    Participant

Hi Bill,

right now the homepage template pulls all blocks – independently of the portfolio group they are in.
    Is there a way to do the homepage with only one or a selection of portfolio groups ? For example there is a portfolio group ‘home’ and only the blocks of ‘home’ appear on the homepage.
    The thing is that I plan for each portfolio group a 1st block as an introduction. It makes no sense to let these introduction blocks appear in the homepage.

Generally speaking it would be great to have a page template, where one can select any selected portfolio group/s to appear. (Same like one can select posts with categories or tags)

regards
    Peter

Bill Robbins

Hello Peter,

That does sound like a good idea. I’ll make a page template that lets you choose a group to display and then update the theme with the addition. I’ll try to have it released this afternoon but it might be tomorrow morning. Support request volume can be a bit unpredictable on Mondays.

Have a great week,
    Bill

Peter Hedrich
    Participant

Wow, that’s fantastic ! Looking forward to the update … 🙂

Have a great week, too
    P.

Bill Robbins

I just published the update to the theme. It adds a new page template called “Portfolio Group” that you can use. When you select that template, scroll down just a bit further in the sidebar and you’ll see a box labeled “Portfolio Group Display.” You can use the drop-down menu there to select the portfolio group that will display on the front page.

That should let you curate which groups are displayed on that page. You could even create a group just for that page since home blocks can be in more than one portfolio group if you need them to be.

The update should be in your dashboard sometime soon. WordPress is set to ping for updates once a day. You can often speed that up by refreshing the updates section in your dashboard.

If you have any trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Peter Hedrich
    Participant

Hello Bill,

this was very quick and it works perfectly! The first result can be seen in http://imagnry.com.

But now another issue emerged. How can the block order be changed from descending to ascending ?
    As you can see in the website there will be a portfolio group for each year. Right now the latest block will be always shown on top. But I need it the other way around – the intro block is always on the top and the latest block at the bottom.

thanks a lot for your efforts
    P.

Bill Robbins

Glad that did the trick. The order is set with the “order” box, but that can be rather tedious to use. I generally use a plugin called Simple Page Ordering (https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-page-ordering/) which lets you drag and drop items like the home blocks to set the order. Let me know if that doesn’t work for you here.

Bill

Peter Hedrich
    Participant

Working with the “order” box in quick edit requires to memorize a lot and is not so nice to work with.
    I installed this plugin already and of course I could always push up manually the latest post to the top of the list. But this is a bit hard when there are a few hundred blocks. And there will be later these amounts of blocks with a portfolio group for each year.

The thing is that I intend to use the Hero blocks intensively as a gallery – the idea is just too good … 🙂 This means on the other side that I skip the whole swipebox stuff.

Is it not possible to change the order in general from descending to ascending in the relevant php-file?

Peter

Bill Robbins

With lots that could be tedious indeed. You’re welcome to edit anything you’d like to. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and choose Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose page-portfolio-group.php
    3. Find this line:

'order'				=> 'ASC',

and change it to

'order'				=> 'DESC',

4. Save your changes.

That should swap out the order in the new page template for you. If you ever need to do that for the home page template it’s the same edit there.

Take care,
    Bill

Peter Hedrich
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Peter Hedrich
    Participant

The order is changed and everything is working perfectly.

Now it can be filled with tons of blocks.

Thanks a lot for the great and stunningly quick support.

best
    P.

Bill Robbins

Glad to hear that got you to where you want to go. I appreciate the suggestions too. Always looking for news ways to tackle themes.

Have a great week Peter

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Home page with a portfolio group’ is closed to new replies.