Home Page Widgets

Support Area Forums Grassroots Home Page Widgets

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.vcnva.org
  • Author
    Kelley Galownia
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I have three quick questions. As we gear up for an important time of year for our organization, we’d like to have three important pages highlighted on the home page of our website. They include:

1. A link to an eventbrite page, separate from the wordpress site itself
    2. A link to our Briefing Book, a PDF file
    3. A link to a page on our website that will track General Assembly bills

I’d like these pages to be visible below the first large picture with the V. It’d be great if they can somehow show up as blocks [ 1 2 3 ] next to each other below the first large picture. Is there a way to format this?

Essentially I want three block buttons under the large picture that people can click to get directed to the eventbrite page, the Briefing Book PDF file, and the page on our website that lists the General Assembly bills.

I’m also having trouble uploading the PDF that I need to post, because the file is too big — is there a plugin that I need to download to do this?

Any advice you have would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Kelley

Bill Robbins

Hello Kelley,

Excellent questions there. Here’s one way to go about doing that. Create a new page on your site to house the content of these three items. To break the content of the page up into three columns, you could use a plugin like Column Shortcodes (https://wordpress.org/plugins/column-shortcodes/).

Once you have your content arranged there you can add it to one of the widget sections of your home page by using a Home Block — Page Content widget. This widget simply displays the content from a page of your choice. You can select the page you just created from the widget’s drop-down menu and that should do it.

If you’d like to track downloads of your ebook, you could use a plugin like Download Monitor (https://wordpress.org/plugins/download-monitor/) to track how many times the link to it has been clicked.

See how that works for you and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Bill

Kelley Galownia
    Participant

Thanks so much for the help, Bill. That worked really well!

The only question I’m left with is how to get the PDF on our website. It says the file size limit is 2MB but the file I’m trying to upload is 4.4MB. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
    Kelley

Bill Robbins

I’m glad that worked out well for you 🙂

You could ask your web host to increase your maximum upload file size. 2MB is pretty low for that limit. If that’s not an option, you could place the file on DropBox or a similar service and add the download link to your site. That’s actually how I store and distribute my themes.

Take care,
    Bill

Kelley Galownia
    Participant

Thank you, Bill!

Bill Robbins

Anytime. Have a great New Year 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Home Page Widgets’ is closed to new replies.