Home page set up

Support Area Forums Progress Home page set up

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Christine Bush
    Participant

I just started working with Progress and the videos you had were helpful. However, on the demo of Progress, there are 3 boxes below the main photo on the home page. How do I set those up?

Thanks,
    chris

Bill Robbins

Chris,

Thank you for your business first of all. The three boxes at the bottom of the home page in Progress are widgets. These are small content blocks that WordPress lets you place in specific locations in themes. You can add those by going to the Appearance section of your WordPress control panel and selecting Widgets.

On the right of that screen you’ll see the available areas to add widgets. In the middle you’ll see the widgets that are available to be added. To add a widget, click the Widget area’s name to open it up. Then drag the widget you’d like to add from the middle and drop it on the widget area you’d like to use. That will open up a small settings panel where you can set up the widget.

The Progress demo uses two “Featured Page” widgets and one “Text Widget” on the home page.

If you have any questions or trouble, please feel free to ask.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Christine Bush
    Participant

Thanks. This helped greatly! One more “question for website dummies:” I want to set up a blog that can be used on the website. Is this easy to do? I noticed a blog tab on your demo of Progress, but honestly don’t know how to get it going. Remigers are now in Africa and I want to set it up on my end here and then they will use it from there.

Do you have any instructions that would be helpful for this?

Thanks again for your time!
    Chris

Bill Robbins

Christine,

Great question. Here’s the easiest way to add a blog in Progress.

1. Go to the Posts section of your WordPress control panel. This is where the blog posts will be written.
    2. WordPress requires that each post be assigned to a category. WordPress creates one on installation called “Uncategorized.” You can change that name by going to Posts > Categories. There you can name it anything from “News” to “Updates” to “Blog.”
    3. Now you can create your posts. Assign every post that you’d like to have in your blog to that category.
    4. Lastly, go to the menu builder (Appearance > Menu) and add that category to your navigation. That will create a “page” for your blog (that’s also how we set it up in the demo).

You can assign a post to more than one category too if you’d like to.

If you have any trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Christine Bush
    Participant

We want to link to another webpage from our widgets. How do you add a hyperlink to a text widget…or can you?

Thanks for the blog information. That worked great! Appreciate your help. You were recommended to me by Steve & Sarah Caton (Ukcatons) because you had great support for people who didn’t know what they were doing. 🙂

Chris

Bill Robbins

I remember them…very nice people.

You can add a link to a text widget. Just paste this into your widget:

Replace the http://yourlink.com with the URL you’d like to link to and the Link Name with the actual text you’d like to turn into a link.

If you have any questions, just let me know,
    Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Home page set up’ is closed to new replies.