Home page SEO concerns

Support Area Forums Foxy Home page SEO concerns

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Terence
    Participant

For some reason, when you use a static page as your home page, you end up with two H1 headings, which is a no no, of course.

Also, when I look at the rest of the layout, I see the proper mark-up and H4 tags for “Find Us” and “Recent Post” widgets, but nothing at all for the “Home” menu, and all the other pages listed below it are left plain too.

SEO-wise this is not what I was expecting and, from my knowledge, is not going to impress the search engines with the importance of my site structure.

Can you give me some advice on how to correct this or will it be taken care of in an update in the not too distant future?

Bill Robbins

Good point about the home page title. Foxy is the only theme of mine that doesn’t have a home.php file (for a default home page). You can pretty easily add a conditional statement that will load the page title as a h1 on the home page and a h2 on an inside one. I’ll include that when we add the testimonials section.

You’re welcome to make any other changes to the site you’d like to. I try to keep the code straightforward so it can more easily be modified if you need to. The main navigation is loaded in the sidebar.php file (it’s right at the top). There’s an article in the Codex that explains the options of the wp_nav_menu function you might be able to use to achieve what you’d like to.

Terence
    Participant

How’s the testimonials section going, and the other meta data stuff I guess you’re planning on releasing at the same time?

Also, how on earth do I get a second services group I just created to show up as menu item?

I’ve been going quietly nuts here. Is it obvious and I’m just being dense?

Terence
    Participant

OK, figured it out in the end. It was just me being dumb — http://www.domain.tld/services/servicegroup — duh!

Bill Robbins

Glad you got that figured out. I still haven’t had an opportunity to tackle the testimonial section. Hopefully I can do that the first part of next week. I’ve been snowed under since the week before Thanksgiving with the one client I still do work for. They’ve given me about a year’s worth of work in the last two months, but I’m nearly finished.

Enjoy your weekend

Terence
    Participant

Well it was pretty much not a promise, sort of… 8^)

But when you do eventually get round to doing it instead of sitting round drinking beer and reading comic books — don’t forget the SEO stuff as well. Two H1’s is not good for either of us! Don’t forget, you’ve got your reputation to live up to. Everyone knows I know jack sh*t.

Terence
    Participant

@Bill ~ ” I’ll include that when we add the testimonials section.”

Did you do either yet? It seems to me you’re running about a month behind on the testimonial inclusion.

Being 64, it seems time has a significance for me it doesn’t always have for other people.

Bill Robbins

Free customizations are always on the very bottom of the to-do list. It’s the price of being free.

You can download the zip file from here. The conditional tag for the page template title will be part of the theme, but the raves section here won’t be included in the general release.

There is page template to use to display the list of raves, a widget that will display a random one, and a sidebar for that section.

Terence
    Participant

Thanks Bill. I’ll let you go back to the booze, the cigars and the women now… 8^)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Home page SEO concerns’ is closed to new replies.