Home page image, page widgets, 2nd level menu items…all suddenly not working

Support Area Forums Live Home page image, page widgets, 2nd level menu items…all suddenly not working

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Heather Hamilton
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I have the Live Theme. I have a bunch of stuff going on (at http://www.whizbangsolutions.net) that seems to have come on all at once:

1) My home page image will not appear. It was previously set up and was fine. Then it stopped appearing. I checked that it was set up correctly; it was. I deleted the image slide and set it up again. It’s still not showing. Images on other pages appear to be fine.

2) Second level menu items do not appear in menu (under “About” and “Services”). The pages are still live and I can get to them by typing the url into the browser window. I tried deleting and re-adding the menu items under their respective custom menu items. Nothing works.

3) I think something is going on with widgets too. I’m pretty sure I had page widgets set up and they are gone now. I can re-add widgets but I had already tried out a bunch and selected a few and now I can’t tell which ones they are.

Any help you can provide?

Bill Robbins

Heather,

Sorry for the trouble. I think everything is javascript related. It looks like your site is loading jQuery from Google, which is fine to do, but it looks like the version that is being served is causing the trouble. Here’s where it’s loading in your header:

<script type='text/javascript' src='https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1/jquery.min.js?ver=3.5.1'>

If I change that in your code to load the version of jQuery that’s currently shipping with WordPress (1.8.3) then the slideshow and navigation appear again.

If it’s something you changed, then all you need to do is edit the line so it looks like this:

I’ve also seen at least one plugin lately that also makes that changes too. If you didn’t write that into the theme, then the most likely culprit is a plugin.

Let me know if you have any questions or trouble,
    Bill

Heather Hamilton
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I haven’t made any changes to the code at all yet. Where does that new code go? Couldn’t find the old code in stylesheet or header.

If the original code isn’t something that shipped with the theme, then I must have added something somewhere that changed it…ugh.

Thanks for your help!

david mossman
    Participant

Bill,
    I have the same issue! I tried to load a calendar from gcal and i guess the jquery is messed. Will try this fix and let you know if it works.
    Ugh. 🙁

david mossman
    Participant

Hi Bill,

this is far beyond my ability. is it possible for you to find out where this went array? the site it http://womeninleadership-calgary.com.
    i loaded 2 different event calendars and tried to sync them with google calendars. i’m not going to do it again so if you fix this issue it won’t happen again as i intend to use all in one calendar and the user can simply add it to their own gcal.
    please help, it’s put me about 3 hours behind 🙁
    thank you so much,
    david.

Bill Robbins

David,

Sorry for the trouble and thank you for sending over the login. I believe I have everything good to go for you now. If you have any other trouble, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Heather,

If you didn’t make the change, then it has to be a plugin that’s doing that for you. The way to find which one it is would be to disable all the plugins and make sure that it changes. Once it does, you can then turn them back on, one by one until it stops working. You’ll then know which plugin is causing the trouble.

Anther option you could try would be this. Go to the Appearance section and select Edit. From the list of files on your right, choose functions.php and scroll down to the very bottom and paste this:

if( !is_admin()){
    	   wp_deregister_script('jquery'); 
    	   wp_register_script('jquery', ("http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.3/jquery.min.js"), false, '1.8.3'); 
    	   wp_enqueue_script('jquery');
    	}

and save your changes. That may remove the plugins use of jQuery and replace it with the version that ships with WordPress.

If you need any help, let me know,
    Bill

Heather Hamilton
    Participant

Thanks Bill…problem solved. I found the offending plugin, which had an update available. After I installed the update, my site went back to normal.

Thanks so much!

Bill Robbins

So glad you found it Heather. If you need anything just let me know. You’re site looks great by the way.

Heather Hamilton
    Participant

Thanks Bill…it’s a work in progress, but the theme rocks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Home page image, page widgets, 2nd level menu items…all suddenly not working’ is closed to new replies.