home bottom widgets overlapping

Support Area Forums Foundation home bottom widgets overlapping

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Kristine Precour
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I made sure that the home page is set to use the home page template under attributes (seemed to solve this problem for other people in the forum), but my homepage bottom widgets are still overlapping. I also tried removing each of the widgets one by one.

Here’s my page: medasf.org/redesign

Thank you,
    Kristine

Bill Robbins

Hello Kristine,

Sorry for the trouble there. It’s actually a bug in the NextGen Gallery plugin. It overrides some necessary default WordPress behavior which causes the scripts in our themes to be loaded incorrectly. That is what’s causing the trouble.

They’ve had tons of trouble since they released version 2.0 of their plugin. They are trying to do some good things and also save themselves some possible support requests, but I don’t think they have it all together just yet.

One option to fix it you might try is this:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose footer.php and find this spot:

</body>

3. Replace that with this:
    4. Save your changes.

By adding a space to that tag, the idea is the find are replace that the plugin is using won’t be able to find what it needs to in order to work.

If you have any trouble or questions, just let me know,
    Bill

Kristine Precour
    Participant

The space disabled the slide show from working (images stopped displaying) and didn’t solve the spacing issue. Any other suggestions for a fix?

Bill Robbins

Kristine,

I would probably roll back to an earlier version of the plugin. The people who bought NextGen gallery last year have instructions on their site at http://www.nextgen-gallery.com/how-to-rollback-a-version/ which can walk you through doing that. You’d want to go back to the last version before 2.0 was released in August.

There’s a post at http://detechdev.com/blog/fix-nextgen-gallery-2-0-conflicts that walks through one method of modifying the plugin to change this “feature.” To do that method though, you’d need to edit the footer.php file again and find this line:

</div<!-- #footer -->

and right below that paste this:

right above that.

You also might consider if you actually need the plugin. It’s a holdover from the era when WordPress didn’t have a built-in gallery feature. As it’s developed, the core gallery is a great solution for most users. Plus since it’s in the core you won’t have to worry if this plugin is continued to be developed or not.

Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Kristine Precour
    Participant

Thanks, deactivating the plugin did the trick. I’ll find an alternate gallery.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘home bottom widgets overlapping’ is closed to new replies.