Header Menu (3rd Menu)

Support Area Forums Agency Header Menu (3rd Menu)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Lauren Moore
    Participant

Hi,
    I was wondering if it would be possible to add a third menu to the website? At the very top of the page? I tried doing it myself by copying the same code for the footer menu and just changing footer to header and instead of copying it to the footer section I copied it to the header section. But that did not work and I am clearly a novice at this. Thank you for your help!
    Lauren

Bill Robbins

Lauren,

Great question there. You can add in a third navigation menu. Here’s what you’ll need to do to make that happen.

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right select header.php
    3. Find this spot:

<div id="header">

and right below that paste this:

and save your changes.

4. Next edit the functions.php file and add this to the very bottom:

register_nav_menus( array(
      	'top' => __( 'Top Navigation', 'organizedthemes' ),
      ) );

and save your changes.

5. Next go to the Theme Options page and select the Styling tab. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

div#top {
           position: absolute;
           top: 0;
           right: 0;
      }

div#top ul {
           list-style-type: none;
      }

div#top ul li {
           float: right;
           margin-left: 7px;
      }

div#top li a {
           color: #ffffff;
      }

and update your settings.

That should give you a new menu location that will appear in the top right hand corner of your header. If you have any questions or trouble with it, just let me know.

Have a great week,
    Bill

Lauren Moore
    Participant

Hi,
    Thanks for the help but I did something wrong again, and now I have the white screen of death. I don’t know how to get back into the editor to fix the problem because it stays white.
    So sorry to trouble you with this, and I understand if you can’t help me this week with thanksgiving and all.

Bill Robbins

Yikes! That’s not good. Here’s how to fix that. Go to your web host’s control panel and find the file browser. Or if you use a FTP program to access your server’s files you can use that too.

Browse to the wp-content/themes folder and rename the agency folder there to agency1 which should manually deactivate the theme for you. Then log back into your WordPress dashboard. You can then go back to the theme editor.

It’s probably the functions.php part that gave the trouble. Choose the Agency theme from the drop-down in the top right there. Then edit the functions.php file and find the spot where you added the navigation menu. Try copying this:

and using that to replace the other code. Save your changes. Then go to the themes page in the Appearance section and preview the Agency theme to see if it’s working or not. If it is go on and activate it. If it’s not, if you’ll send a login to support@organizedthemes.com I’ll take a look at it for you.

Hope that helps,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Header Menu (3rd Menu)’ is closed to new replies.