Header and Top Nav

Support Area Forums Bottega Header and Top Nav

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Robyn
    Participant

Hi Bill!

I’m using the Bottega theme. I need to adjust the header/Top Nav Menu area.

My header is large and pretty much takes the whole top of the page, thus no room for the Top Nav.

I need to move the top navigation under the header. Some nav titles are long: Specifications and Capabilities. Long titles I think will have to be broken into 2 lines.

I know we did something similar using the Authentic theme. I believe we even added color behind to make buttons, which I would love to do here. I’m not sure if the Authentic ccs adjustments are the same for Bottega.

One weird thing that happened when I set up the nav menu, I now have a black box over half of my slider on the home page.

http://nolimitswiss.robynmcginty.com

Thanks in advance!!

Robyn

Bill Robbins

Hello Robyn,

See if this won’t move down the navigation below the logo and also add a black background behind each item:

1. Go to the Theme Options page and select the Styling tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

#header {
      	height: auto;
      }

#logo {
      	position: relative;
      	left: 0;
      	overflow: hidden;
      }

#logo p,
      #logo h1 {
      	margin: 0;
      	line-height: 1;
      	padding: 0;
      }

#navigation {
      	float: none;
      	display: block;
      	width: 100%;
      	margin-top: 0;
      	position: relative;
      }

#navigation ul {
      	float: left;
      	margin: 0;
      }

#navigation li {
      	margin-right: 4px;
      }

#navigation a,
      #navigation a:visited {
      	background-color: #000;
      }

3. Update your settings.

If you haven't looked at the current version of Bottega you might give it try too. I think it's big improvement over the earlier version. Just a thought.

Have a great week and let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Robyn
    Participant

Hi Bill!

GREAT! I even changed the black to red! I’m having only one hiccup. I am not able to select the menu drop down items before they disappear.

Is the new version of Bottega available as an update or is it a whole new install?

Thanks!

Bill Robbins

What I would do to update it is, download the theme. Then unzip the bottega.zip file. Rename the folder to bottega-update and then zip it back up again.

That way you can install it like you would a new theme. It should keep your same options though and you can always roll back to the original if you need to that way.

Hopefully that will also help with the navigation drop-downs too.

Robyn
    Participant

I made the switch but I lost a bunch. The background image, the whole top nav, slide show, feature boxes, sidebar widgets etc. I do like what I see though. Debating on wether or not to redo.

If I roll back to the previous version, is there a fix for the drop downs?

Bill Robbins

Go save your options. That should bring up the slideshow. Most likely the widgets have been moved to the inactive widgets. You can drag them out and put them back in place. You also may need to assign the navigation menu back to its location.

The navigation trouble in the old version is JavaScript related I believe. You could use the plugin that’s in the WordPress 3.6 update box in the right hand side of this site. That may fix it. Definitely don’t use it with the new version of the theme.

Let me know if you need help,
    Bill

Robyn
    Participant

Oh Bill! It’s looking FANTASTIC!! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!

Bill Robbins

That’s great to hear Robyn! If you need anything else, just let me know.

Have a great week!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Header and Top Nav’ is closed to new replies.