Having 2 different menus available ?

Support Area Forums Moonrise Having 2 different menus available ?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question: http://chaumontbakery.com/wp/
  • Author
    Frederic Laski
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to implement two different menu on my website.

One regular menu , and one catering menu.
    The regular menu is displayed in a section of the homepage.

However i’d like to provide a Catering menu, which will be available when clicking on the Catering button on the top page.

The Issue is that if I create a Page which inherit “Full width” properties , It will just duplicate the properties of my regular menu which is displayed in the Home section.
    I there any way to create a second brand new grouping of food items and display it on a separate page?

Thanks for your Help.

Fred.

*edit*

Just found the answer in the doc , sorry 🙁 [menu group=”****”] on a default layout

Just need to create a whole set of new group for catering menu and use
    ——————–
    You can add these groups to your navigation just like you would a page or post category. They will display your items in a nice and orderly fashion.

We’ve incorporated what’s called a “shortcode” that lets you place a food group listing wherever you want. Just paste this code:

[menu group=”burgers”]
    Just replace burgers with the “slug” of the menu group you’d like to display. You can find the slug by going to the Food section and selecting “Menu Groups.” The slug will be listed next to each group.

You can use this to create pages that have multiple menu groups per page.
    ——————

Bill Robbins

Hello Fred,

Excellent question. You can create a separate menu for catering that isn’t displayed on the home page. There are a couple of ways you can go about that.

1. You could create a menu group just for your catering items. Add everything that belongs in that menu to it. Don’t select it in your home page menu widget so that will keep it out of the home page.

Then go to the navigation menu builder (Appearance > Menus in your WordPress dashboard). Look in the left hand column for menu groups. If you don’t see it there, click the screen options tab in the top right hand corner. Make sure the box next to menu groups is checked.

You should then be able to add your menu group to the navigation menu like you would a WordPress page. That will create a “page” (really a dynamic archive) of all the items in that group. That’s one option.

2. The second option is to use what is called a “shortcode.” This is a method we can use to display all the items in a menu group in a list. What’s different about this option is you can add several of these to one page allowing you to have multiple menu groups listed together.

To go this way, create a page for your catering items. Just paste this code:

[menu group="burgers"] 

where you want the first list to go. Just replace burgers with the “slug” of the menu group you’d like to display. You can find the slug by going to the Food section and selecting “Menu Groups.” The slug will be listed next to each group.

Repeat that for each group you want to add. Then publish your page.

If you run into any questions or trouble, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Frederic Laski
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your quick answer,
    I’ve tried to apply solution 1. , Unfortunately it doesn’t provide the level of flexibility i’d like (I can t group all catering items into one group)

Solution 2. works the best for me , However , is there any way to have 2 columns as shown in the Menu group ?

If I put [menu group=”burgers”] [menu group=”burgers”] , they will be listed one after each other , and not side by side as the regular menu.

Thanks for your Help,

Fred

Bill Robbins

Hello Fred,

What you could do is use one of the many column plugins to create two columns on the page and then add the shortcodes to the columns. That would be the easiest way to achieve a similar effect to the home page’s menu with shortcodes.

Bill

Frederic Laski
    Participant

HI Bill,

Not sure got why , but got some overlap issue of the 2 column with all the shortcut plugin I’ve installed.
    The only workaround I’ve found so far is using Shortcodes Ultimate, split the page in four, and using the menu group shortcoe in the first and last column, leaving the 2 middle one empty.

[su_row]
    [su_column size=”1/4″] [menu group=”eggs”] [/su_column]
    [su_column size=”1/4″][/su_column]
    [su_column size=”1/4″][/su_column]
    [su_column size=”1/4″] [menu group=”eggs”] [/su_column]
    [/su_row]

Also I have noticed that when using the [menu group=”****”] shortcode , I don’t have the name of the menu group being displayed , is that a normal behavior ?

Thanks for your help,

Fred.

Bill Robbins

Hey Fred,

I’m glad you were able to get those lined up via the columns (even if two are empty). It still appears to present well.

The shortcodes intentionally just display the list of item. You’re welcome to add any text, headings, images, video — pretty much any WordPress content above or below each list. I set it up that way to give an option with maximum flexibility vs the other more regimented options.

You should be able to enter any text you need before the shortcode and have it display above the list.

Let me know if it gives you trouble,
    Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Having 2 different menus available ?’ is closed to new replies.