Gallery Issues

Support Area Forums Bottega Gallery Issues

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Scott Hannaman
    Participant

I am really sorry to bother you with this. It seems with the new Gallery set up in the wordpress update things are a bit confusing for me. I really want to use the polaroid gallery plugin on this site but it is not working at all, actually I can’t really get any gallery to work properly. Do you know of a resource that might help me understand this better?

Scott Hannaman
    Participant

This is the message i get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function the_excerpt_max_charlength() in /home/content/98/10218298/html/wp-content/themes/bottega/gallery-template.php on line 76

Bill Robbins

Scott,

Something’s not right there. The theme doesn’t use the the_excerpt_max_charlength function nor have a file named gallery-template.php. Actually the_excerpt_max_charlength isn’t a core function, but there is a Codex Article that shows you how to create it if you want to.

If you need to use that function, you can add it to the functions.php file and the site should be able to use it then.

You might also look at using the version of Bottega that was released this week. I added in a new lightbox that supports the changes to the gallery features that WordPress 3.5 added. WordPress’ updated gallery makes it easier to pick and choose which images are included in each one.

Basically with the new gallery, you click on the “Add Media” button when you’re working on a page or post. That will open up the media library pop-up. In the top left of the pop-up, you’ll see a link that says “create gallery.” Click it and then click on each image you’d like to include. When you’re finished click the “Create Gallery” button in the bottom right hand corner.

This next screen will let you add names and captions to your images and also set the order. You can have the images link to the media file which is what you’ll want if you’re using a lightbox.

Once that’s set, click “insert gallery” and WordPress will add in a thumbnail gallery.

That will only work as described with the version of Bottega released this week. The original lightbox gallery used all images that were uploaded on the page/post which was the default behavior in WordPress until version 3.5 was released in December. You can turn off the lightbox in the older version of Bottega in the theme options page if you need to.

If I can help, just let me know,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Scott,

One other type of gallery I forgot to mention is the gallery “format.” If you choose that, the theme will create a slideshow at the top of the page/post similar to the home page. The images used there will be any ones uploaded on that page or post.

Bill

Scott Hannaman
    Participant

Bill, I’m sorry to bother you again but how do I update the theme? I tried installing the new version and it tells me the path is already in use. I really hate to re-build the site if I don’t have to.

Bill Robbins

Scott,

A safe way to update it and keep any file changes you’ve made is to unzip the bottega.zip file you downloaded and rename the folder to bottega-update. Then zip it back up and upload the bottega-update.zip file. That will let you try out the new version while keeping the old one in case you want to roll back.

Bill

Scott Hannaman
    Participant

Thanks

Scott Hannaman
    Participant

OK, Just one more ?? I updated and I think I can make it all work the way I need. The font for the Navigation menu I would like to make smaller but I can’t find it in the style sheet.

Scott Hannaman
    Participant

Disregard the previous post please. Thanks

Scott Hannaman
    Participant

OK, Next issue…I would like to put a static image on the home page but am really struggling to figure out how the slide show works. I have created a page called “home” Selected the home template. Ive created a slide and for the life of me I cannot get it to display. Any ideas.

Bill Robbins

Scott,

Sorry I’m out just a bit for my son’s birthday.

For the home page, did you set the page you created to be the home page in Settings > Reading?

I’ll be back in just a little while and will help with your other questions.

Bill

Scott Hannaman
    Participant

ok, There really are only a few things I need help on when you get back. I have selected “home” in Settings>Reading. I have put together the home page and selected “home” as the template. But I cannot display any images there and no text. The other issue I have is when I use a space in the text on other pages it shows up as a white box. Thanks for all your help.

Scott Hannaman
    Participant

Here is a link to show you an example….http://conchrepublichomerepairkw.com/?page_id=46

Bill Robbins

Scott,

Sorry about that again.

Thanks for sending over the link. It looks like when you named the folder, there was a space placed in the name. You’ll need to use – instead of the space so that the links to the javascript files don’t break. I believe that’s why the slideshow isn’t showing up.

The other content on the home page is made up of widgets. You can add those to the “Home” sidebar and they should show up there.

If you have any trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Jayme
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Jayme here, back on track on the Glen Junction website. Can you refresh my memory in how to set up the slider on all pages, not just the home page? I know it’s under format, but not clear how to set up 4 slider images for that page. For example, on the breakfast page: http://new.glenjunction.com/breakfast

Right now there is only one stagnant header image, how do I turn that into slider images?

Also, how do I remove that blue bar under the image?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Jayme

Jayme
    Participant

Bill,

Another quick question, can I make columns of type on a page?
    (like two columns, so I can put all food and descriptions in there.

If so, how?

thanks,

Jayme

Bill Robbins

Jayme,

You’re on the right track. Select the Gallery format. All the images that you upload while editing that page or post will be included in the slideshow on that page. Only the images uploaded on that page will be included.

You can remove the blue box by going to the Style tab of the theme options page and selecting white for the sidebar color. It’s set to blue at the moment which is the box you’re seeing below the image.

You can make columns on a normal page, but not a menu page. To add in columns, you’ll want to use a plugin like Grid Columns.

If you have any trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Jayme
    Participant

HI Bill,

Thanks for your quick response. What is the difference between a menu page and normal page?

Jayme

Jayme
    Participant

Bill,

I’m in the page, set it to gallery format, not seeing how to add more images, all I see is “featured image” remove features image. Is there something I need to do with Parent or template or order?

Jayme

Bill Robbins

On a normal page, all the content is entered through the main content box when you’re editing that page. Because of that, you can use a columns plugin to create columns in your text.

The menu pages have content that’s already set. You add the menu items separately in their own editors and then they are pulled into the menu page. Because of that, you can’t add in columns via the plugin.

To add the images, click the “Add Media” button and then upload your images there. You don’t need to insert them into the page itself. Just upload them there and they’ll be added.

Jayme
    Participant

Bill,

I did what you said, “add media” and it IS inserting it into the page, as a page image, which is not what I want. In the featured image section, there’s nothing about adding more images, it just says “remove featured image”, which is also not what I want.

What am I doing wrong?

Again, I want sliders on all pages.

I don’t recall how I made the home page slider.

Bill Robbins

Jayme,

It will only insert the image into the page if you click the insert button. Don’t click it. Just upload the images and then close the pop-up. That will add the image and associate it with the page so the slider will show it.

Jayme
    Participant

Thanks so much, I did fix it.

Do you know the answer to this one?

Make this site mobile friendly?

Jayme

Bill Robbins

Is there anything particular you want to change?

Jayme
    Participant

As far as mobile? I want the menu buttons to align better the About Us is on two lines, the phone number at the bottom is breaking in the middle, social media icons in the footer are in 2 rows, the square menu boxes are too large, it’s not mobile friendly at all.

Jayme

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘Gallery Issues’ is closed to new replies.