Gallery Images, Page Width, and Blog Menus

Support Area Forums Agency Gallery Images, Page Width, and Blog Menus

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Hilliary Hallman
    Participant

Hey Bill, I’ve got a few questions/issues:

1. I want the gallery that appears on the home page to appear on every page and can’t figure out how to make that work.

2. Is there any way to change the width of the content part of the pages so it doesn’t only fill 3/4’s of the page?

3. I cannot get the categories, archives, etc menus to appear on the blog page.

Bill Robbins

Hillary,

Let’s see if we can get you going in the right direction:

One: You can make it so the slideshow appears on all pages. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Appearance section and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose media-default.php and scroll down near the bottom and look for this:

<?php } else { ?>

3. Right below that, paste this:

4. Save your changes.

That will make the slideshow the ultimate fallback. You could still assign a featured image, video or slideshow gallery, but in the absence of those, the home page slideshow will be displayed.

Two: you can have your content area be full-width. Here’s how:

Go to the Styling tab of the Theme Options page and scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

#content {
    	width: 100%;
    	 -moz-box-sizing: border-box; 
    	 -webkit-box-sizing: border-box; 
    	 box-sizing: border-box;
    }

Update your settings and that will make your content areas full-width.

Three: missing items. Are you missing these items from your navigation bar? If that’s the case you can add them by going to the Appearance section and selecting Menu. There’s a quick video in the video section of our site that can walk you though adding those.

If you’ve done that, but they are missing from certain pages on your site, then that sounds like something else. If you could, send over a link to where you’re experiencing that and I’ll be glad to take a look.

Or if it’s something else altogether that you’re missing, let me know and we’ll go from there.

Thanks,
    Bill

Hilliary Hallman
    Participant

Thank you so much for you help! I got the first 2 problems fixed!

But my blog page is missing those things mentioned. Here is the link:
    http://www.lifeishopesouth.org/blog-page/

Thanks!

Bill Robbins

Hillary,

Glad I could help with the first two for you. I took a look at the your blog page, but didn’t see anything that looked like it was missing there. The navigation items were showing up in the menu next to your logo.

Here’s a quick look at how the blog looks in the demo. If you’ll let me know what you’re not seeing, I’ll be glad to help.

Thanks,
    Bill

Hilliary Hallman
    Participant

I’m referring to the navigation that should be on the side, next to the blog posts. In the example page, it’s the default sidebar with recent posts,etc

Bill Robbins

I understand now. That’s called the sidebar, and we actually just hid it by making the content full-width.

What you’ll want to do is remove the CSS snippet from above. Then go to the Appearance section and select widgets. This is where you can add widgets (small content blocks) to you sidebar.

Here’s a quick video that shows how they work:

We can selectively make your content full-width and remove the sidebar if you’d like to. There is a full-width page template that does that already for pages. Say you’d like to have your posts full width only in the single view and in the archive view, you would use this snippet instead of the one from above:

.single #content {
    	width: 100%;
    	 -moz-box-sizing: border-box; 
    	 -webkit-box-sizing: border-box; 
    	 box-sizing: border-box;
    }

If you have any questions, let me know,
    Bill

Hilliary Hallman
    Participant

I had already added the widgets for the “posts” and “categories” sidebars, but they do not show up on the blog posts page. Am I doing something wrong?

Bill Robbins

Good question. Use the default sidebar for your blog. The category one appears on a category archive (http://www.lifeishopesouth.org/category/uncategorized/) and the post one shows up on individual posts.

Hilliary Hallman
    Participant

Got it! Thanks so so much!

Bill Robbins

Fantastic. Enjoy your Memorial Day.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Gallery Images, Page Width, and Blog Menus’ is closed to new replies.