Featured Items

Support Area Forums Bottega Featured Items

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Brooks Seale
    Participant

I can not get the featured row to work at all. I have entered in the Menu section a new entry and added a featured item to it. Maybe I am in the wrong spot, but I thought this is where you setup the featured items. What am I doing wrong?

sealeandrobertscatering.com

Thanks for helping out a novice…

Bill Robbins

Sorry for the delay in getting you an answer. I missed this post earlier in the week. and didn’t realize I hadn’t helped you out.

Thanks for sending the link too. I took a look at your site. The featured row will show posts from the category you designate in the theme options page. The image is the featured image for that post. They are 178 pixels square.

It looks like you have added images that size to the slides section. While the image will display, you’ll need one 960 by 350 pixels to fill the space.

I noticed that the slideshow and the cover for the featured row wasn’t operating. On closer inspection it seems like only part of the map’s embed code made it into the contact widget. That was causing the code below it on the page (where the script for the slideshow and featured row) to not work quite right. Try adding in the embed code again and see if that doesn’t help.

If you need anything else, just let me know.

Brooks Seale
    Participant

Bill,

I got the map to work and it did fix the slide show issue. I know about the picture size but need to get some good pictures. I just had those in there as a test.

I have a couple more questions about the featured row category. From looking at other sites, it looks like this is driven by pages and not posts. For Example, one site I looked at has Online Store as a top menu choice and as a featured item. These connect to the same page.

Does this make sense?

Bill Robbins

It does make sense. I’ve got a way to help you out. If you’ll look down below the box where you’d write the content for your post there is a smaller box that says “Redirect Post.” You can enter any URL here and when someone clicks on that post, it will send them to that URL.

That way you can create a post to go on the featured row and then use the redirect box to send it to a page, category or another URL.

If you have any trouble, let me know.

Scott Hannaman
    Participant

Bill is there any documentation that you have that will help me understand how the CMS is organized for this? I am having trouble adding images to the featured items. I have menu categories set up but I am not understanding the difference between the pages and comments. Also none of my pages are showing up in the menu on the top.

http://www.frenchiescafekw.com

Bill Robbins

Scott,

Great question. Basically the featured row pulls posts from a specific category of your choosing. You can set the category inside the theme options page. The image displayed is the featured image of that post. There’s a quick video below that shows how to add featured images:

For this area, the images are 178 pixels square.

You can redirect the posts if you’d like to have one of the images point to a menu group, or another page or URL on some other site too. To do that, enter the URL you’d like to link to in the “redirection” box that’s visible when you’re editing a post.

The pages are for content that typically doesn’t change all that regularly like your about or contact pages.

Comments are where visitors to your site can leave a response to a post. Typical blog functionality there where you can then reply to their comments and help develop a community within your site. By default they are set to need approval before they are visible on the front of your site.

The menu section allows you to add your menu items. These can be grouped into sections by creating menu groups (that’s how the unique menu sections are created in the demo). Once you add a menu group to your navigation, it will create a “page” for the items in that group.

For example, the demo contains five menu groups: Desserts, Entrees, Starters, Espresso Creations, and Dessert. We’ve added the individual menu items to one or those menu groups. Then we added those menu groups to the navigation and ended up with a page for each one.

There is also a page template that can display up to 10 menu groups all on one page. To use it, create a page for it. While you’re creating the page, look in the right hand column for a drop down that’s labeled “page templates.” From that drop down, choose “Menu Page.” Publish your page. Now you can go to the theme options page and customize how this page appears. You can choose which menu groups are displayed and in what order. The page will update itself as you update your menu items.

That’s basically how it works. If you have any questions, let me know,
    Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Featured Items’ is closed to new replies.