Featured Image on Individual post

Support Area Forums Forward Featured Image on Individual post

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: http://lakebalboanc.org
  • Author
    Aaron DeVandry
    Participant

Hi Bill.

I love this theme. How can I set up the featured image to be posted below the post title, on both the blog page as well as the post itself?

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Aaron,

Glad to hear you’re enjoying our new theme. Great question too. You can do that with just a bit of editing. Make sure to copy all the source code directly from our support site (email tends to mangle it a bit). Here’s what to do:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and choose Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose single.php
    3. Find this line:

</header><!-- .entry-header -->

and right above it add this:

<div class="featured-image">

<?php the_post_thumbnail( '', array( 'class' => 'feature shadow' ) ); ?>

</div>

and save your changes. That should take care of the single view of your posts. Now for the blog archive view.

4. Edit the index.php file and find this section:

<?php if ( has_post_thumbnail() ) { ?>

<div class="featured-image">

<a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" rel="bookmark" title="<?php echo esc_attr( sprintf( __( 'Permalink to %s', 'forward' ), the_title_attribute( 'echo=0' ) ) ); ?>"><?php the_post_thumbnail( '', array( 'class' => 'feature shadow' ) ); ?></a>

</div>

<?php } else if ( false !== ( $first_video = organizedthemes_get_first_video() ) ) { ?>

<div class="fit-video shdadow">

<?php echo $first_video; ?>

</div>

<?php } // has_post_thumbnail ?>

5. Cut that and paste it back in just above this:

</header><!-- .entry-header -->

and save your changes.

That should move the featured image down below the title for you, both in the blog archive and single post views. If you’ll be using category archives, you’ll probably also want to change the archive.php file just like you changed the index.php one.

If you have questions, just let me know.

Have a great week,
    Bill

Aaron DeVandry
    Participant

Thanks, Bill. I figured this out yesterday, but it’s probably still helpful for others.

A few things I noticed: there isn’t a place in the Customize option to edit the background color of the drop-down nav sub headings. Also, the widget title backgrounds weren’t updating when changed in the Customize option.

I made those changes via custom CSS.

Bill Robbins

Glad you found it out. Another user spotted the widget title backgrounds on Friday so they’ll be in the next update to the theme. If you spot anything else that doesn’t update, please do let me know.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Featured Image on Individual post’ is closed to new replies.