Facebook Widget problem and Text Widget on Staff Page problem

Support Area Forums Epic Facebook Widget problem and Text Widget on Staff Page problem

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    James Pyles
    Participant

The Facebook widget that comes with Epic isn’t working. I add the widget to the main page, create a title and the URL of the desired Facebook page, but only the title appears. No link or anything else appears.

I added a Text widget in the Staff sidebar because I want a list of the board of deacons to appear on the staff pages only. However, the list doesn’t appear on any staff pages. I can put the text widget in the Default container and it will appear on all pages, so it’s not that the list I created work.

Can you help me with these?

Thanks.

Bill Robbins

James,

Sorry for the trouble. Can you post a link to the pages where you’re having the trouble so I can take a look for you?

Also the first post in a new topic won’t be visible to you, but it is to me. It’s caused by a conflict between my membership plugin and the forum plugin. It does post even though it can’t be seen. They promise me that a fix is coming. Sorry about the trouble there.

Thanks,
    Bill

James Pyles
    Participant

Here’s the link to the home page. Adding the Facebook widget makes the container extend downward quite a bit but otherwise doesn’t produce the desire result.

Here’s the “Meet the Staff” page: http://66.147.242.186/~mfbcorg/meet-the-staff/

This is one of the individual staff pages: http://66.147.242.186/~mfbcorg/staff/randall-cook/

I added the text widget configured to display a bullet point list of the members of the board of deacons, but it doesn’t appear at all.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

James Pyles
    Participant

I found part of the answer. It seems only Facebook “pages” work with this widget, not profiles or groups. I was using the URL for the church’s Facebook group, so I guess it just doesn’t work. Still a mystery why a simple text widget doesn’t display in the Staff sidebar but does in the Default.

Bill Robbins

James,

Sorry for the delay. My kids are out of school this week and we planned a day trip to see my wife’s grandmother in Nashville and I thought I would be able to get caught up on support before we left there. It started to snow so we went on back to Birmingham so we wouldn’t get stuck.

You are correct about the Facebook Like Box. Facebook has made those so they only work with their “pages” and not individual profiles or groups. If they ever make something comparable for groups, I’ll add it into the theme for sure.

For the staff sidebar. The individual staff members are made to be “full-width.” Those pages don’t use the staff sidebar, but the listing should. I added the staff page template recently and it appears that I left out the staff sidebar from it. I’ll place it into the next theme update, but here’s how to add it in until then:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right select sidebar.php
    3. Replace everything there with this:
    4. Save your changes.

That should do it. If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

James Pyles
    Participant

It worked. Thanks.

Glad you didn’t get stuck in the snow. It’s been pretty cold here but only snow in the mountains so far. If I don’t have to ping you again before Thursday, have a Happy Thanksgiving with your family.

Since my wife is Jewish and since the first day of Chanukah is on Thanksgiving this year (a statistical rarity), we’ll be doing Turkey and potato latkes while lighting the menorah.

Peace.

Bill Robbins

That sounds like a good Thanksgiving/Chanukah to me. Enjoy your holiday(s) too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Facebook Widget problem and Text Widget on Staff Page problem’ is closed to new replies.