Errors using IE8

Support Area Forums Elite Errors using IE8

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Paul Spiller
    Participant

I am using the Elite template and although my design works as expected even with css modifications on safari and others, it fails using IE8 on windows 7 (which does not really surprise me).

However, even your demo site has errors using IE8. The attached screen shot of the errors are similar as my site. I may of course caused a few more problems with my css changes which I will address but these ones concern me.

Can these be addressed.

It would be nice to start with a clean sheet especially if I am tweaking css.

Paul

Bill Robbins

Paul,

Thank you for your business first of all. Sorry for the trouble there. It looks like the animation that I added to the theme last Thursday is causing the trouble with IE 8. The animation uses the section tag which is a HTML5 element that IE 8 doesn’t support natively. The theme uses a HTML5 shiv so that IE 8 will recognize those elements, but evidently that is not keeping the javascript happy.

I will look at changing the script and theme so that it will not use that tag if possible. Until then, you could always remove the animation. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose scripts.php
    3. Find these line:

wp_enqueue_script('modernizr');
      wp_enqueue_script('classie');
      wp_enqueue_script('scroller');

and delete them and save your changes.

4. Next edit the custom-js.php file and find this spot:

// Page Animations
      	new cbpScroller( document.getElementById( 'cbp-so-scroller' ) );

and delete it and save your changes.

That will remove animation script and should hopefully take care of that warning for you.

If I can make the change to the script, I’ll include it in the next theme update. Either way I’ll include a method to disable it without having to edit the theme.

Thanks,
    Bill

Paul Spiller
    Participant

Bill,
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    I had the updates turned off and so I think I have an older version as those lines are not in scripts.php.

However, it may have worked out fine as you found a problem that needed attention.

I think I also found my problem – for some reason IE8 was in “compatibility view” mode. When I turned that off those problems went away (why they would force a browser to work like an older one that has many problems with sites is beyond me).

I have modified the template css (to suit a clients requirements) such that responsiveness is gone such that I removed most of the responsiveness section of style.css (as per one of your posts) but left the code there that it would have used for a particular size screen – in effect setting a fixed layout.

This works fine in safari, firefox, chrome but IE actually crashes when I go the the shop page. Just mentioned it as you may be able to give me a clue – I am going to look further before requesting help.

I would understand if you are reluctant to help with modified code.

Thanks Paul

Bill Robbins

Hey Paul,

I’d be glad to take a look for you. Can you send me the URL to your shop page? Also which version of IE are crashing there?

Thanks,
    Bill

Paul Spiller
    Participant

Thanks again Bill,

Lets take a reset here. I am my own worst enemy. I modified the css too much – all worked fine on safari but good old IE8 had conniptions. After restoring back to normal these problems went away.
    However I am still wanting to modify the css somewhat (more carefully) and will contact you if I run into something I cannot resolve. As I say, I modify and all works well in everything except IE8 – keeps one on their toes but sometimes this way lays madness.

Paul

Bill Robbins

Working through IE bugs can be such an exercise in frustration.

One bit of help that’s built into the theme is a HTML class that’s added for IE versions. It’s a hook you can use to apply styles only to the version of IE giving trouble. Here they are:

html.ie8 -- Internet Explorer 8
    html.ie9 -- Internet Explorer 9

so to target a div in IE 8 only you could use this:

html.ie8 div#content {
        styles go here
    }

and that would only affect the #content div when viewed with Internet Explorer 8.

Let me know if you run into trouble,
    Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Errors using IE8’ is closed to new replies.