Edit problem

Support Area Forums Foundation Edit problem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.texasrealcountygop.org
  • Author
    Jack DuBose
    Participant

Hi. I’ve been working on a website for a couple of weeks after purchasing your Foundation theme. I was just about complete and about to publish when I noticed I could not edit anything, and I mean anything, not posts, pages or anything that requires editing and not just checking a box.

I’ve tried all the suggested things like reloading the Foundation Theme, reinstalling WordPress, deactivating plug-ins. I get the same problem in both Safari on the Mac and in Explorer on Windows. I also changed themes and was able to edit. Does this mean its likely to be a theme problem? Finally I went into Safari with Develop and opened the Error Console. It looks like I’m getting scripting errors.

I can see everything on the website in preview or Visit Site so I know everything is there.

Any ideas?
    Jack DuBose Website

Jack DuBose

Bill Robbins

Hi Jack,

Happy New Year. Sorry for the trouble getting your site launched. Looking at the screenshot you took, it appears that the jQuery library isn’t loading on that screen. It’s a javascript framework that enables many interactive elements to work.

Oddly it is loading on the front end of the site (it makes your slideshow work for example). Since it’s the same copy of jQuery that’s loaded on the front and back ends, that’s very unusual.

Would it be possible for you to send over a login so I can take a closer look for you? You can mark a reply in the forum as private and I’ll be the only one who can see it.

Thanks,
    Bill

Jack DuBose
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bill Robbins

Thanks for sending that over Jack. Here’s what I’ve uncovered. It looks like the & (ampersands) in the load-scripts.php that the WordPress admin uses is not cooperating with the server. The line that loads these scripts is this:

http://texasrealcountygop.org/wp-admin/load-scripts.php?c=0&load%5B%5D=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,utils,jquery-ui-core,underscore,thickbox,shortcode,plupload,jquery-ui-datepicker,media-upload,farbtas&load%5B%5D=tic&ver=4.4

which will return nothing. But if I change the “entity” version of the ampersands to just the symbol, it’ll return the expected scripts:

http://texasrealcountygop.org/wp-admin/load-scripts.php?c=0&load%5B%5D=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,utils,jquery-ui-core,underscore,thickbox,shortcode,plupload,jquery-ui-datepicker,media-upload,farbtas&load%5B%5D=tic&ver=4.4

What’s really odd is that the line that loads these scripts in the demo is virtually the same, but it loads without issue:

http://demo.organizedthemes.com/foundation/wp-admin/load-scripts.php?c=0&load%5B%5D=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,utils,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-sortable,postbox,underscore,thickbox,&load%5B%5D=shortcode,plupload,jquery-ui-datepicker,media-upload,farbtastic&ver=4.4

I did a bit of research as I haven’t run into this situation before. Here’s one solution that we may want to try:

1. Use your web host’s file browser to open up the files in the root directory of your site. You could also use a FTP program if you’d rather.
    2. Locate the wp-config.php file and edit it.
    3. Scroll down to the bottom and add this line:

(Visit the support site directly to copy that code)

4. Save your file.

Try clearing out your browser’s cache and then editing a page again. That should break all of those files that have been added together into separate ones again and hopefully avoid that problem.

Let me know what you turn up.

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Hi Jack,

I’m glad that fixed it for you. I’m not certain what the cause of this is. In a few of the posts I uncovered, the source of the trouble was either server configuration or security plugins that limited the length of certain requests. Someone had even proposed a patch to the WordPress core related to this, but it was ruled out as not being necessary.

I hate to not have an answer for you. If we were digging into it, most likely it has something to do with the server configuration. specifically though, I don’t know. It would take some sorting out to reach the end of it. Adding that constant to wp-config should take care of it for you though.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Take care,
    Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Edit problem’ is closed to new replies.