Customizing Header Navigation

Support Area Forums Finesse Customizing Header Navigation

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question: http://http://71e.a42.myftpupload.com/
  • Author
    Erika Walsh
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I love your themes!

I am struggling a little bit with customizing Finesse right now. On my landing page, I have a hero video playing. In the body of the page, I want only two options, one for our Australia site and one for our US site.

However, I would like to have the main menu in header navigation on every page but the front page. Is it possible to do that?

Also, is there a quick tutorial for how to set up the shop in Finesse?

Thanks so much,
    Erika

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Erika,

Thank you so much for your business first of all. I really do appreciate it. Excellent question too. It is possible to hide the main navigation menu everywhere but the front page. Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and click on Customize.
    2. Look down for the advanced section and click on it. Then choose Custom CSS.
    3. In the box there, add this:

.home nav#primary-site-navigation {
      	display: none;
      }

4. Save your changes.

That should hide the navigation just on the home page for you.

The shop section for the theme is made with the WooCommerce plugin. Woo has a good documentation section at https://docs.woothemes.com/documentation/plugins/woocommerce/getting-started/ that can show the basic settings of the plugin. That would be a good starting point. If you have run into trouble with it or have questions, let me know.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Erika Walsh
    Participant

Many thanks for the assistance, Bill. I have to say that in addition to your beautiful themes, your outstanding support has made me a devotee of Organized Themes!

I will try your suggestion.

In the meantime, I fell so in love with Finesse that I switched another site that I do from Elite to Finesse. (www.kybdressage.com). I have to questions that I am sure will realize are ridiculous once I hit the submit button below, but here goes…

1. When I go into Theme Customization, I cannot find a way to change the color of the primary navigation or the background of the menu. The selections are there under Navigation in Style, but they are static and not changeable. What am I doing wrong here?

2. If I put a slide show into the Hero section of the main page, is there a way to slow down the slides? They go pretty rapidly.

Thanks much,
    Erika

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Erika,

Let’s see if we can tackle these questions for you:

1. Navigation Menu Colors. There are two spots where the navigation colors can be changed. The options in the navigation section of the styling will set the defaults. When you have a hero on a page, you can change the color of the navigation just for that page. Those options are in the advanced hero options while editing that page. Those will override the defaults if they are selected.

2. You can change the slideshow speed. Edit the page with your hero slideshow. Look down in the hero section until you find the advanced options. Here you can change the length of time each slide is visible as well as how long each transition is. See if those won’t help you out there.

Let me know what you run into.

Have a great week,
    Bill

Erika Walsh
    Participant

Hello, Bill,

Your brilliant suggestions resolved my previous problems.

I have a new dilemma. On http://71e.a42.myftpupload.com/, I have an MP4 video in the Hero section. It appears and works fine on a web browser on a computer. However, on my iPhone, there is no video. Any suggestions on how to resolve that?

Thanks again,
    Erika

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Erika,

I’m glad we could take care of those earlier questions. For the background video, make sure to include a still image along with the video. Mobile devices don’t allow autoplay video or background videos in websites. Video takes a lot of memory to run and also eats up bandwidth too which is why both iOS and Android don’t allow it.

On a mobile device the image will be shown instead of the video so make sure one is there. Also make sure to use a MP4, a webm and an OGV file. The various browsers all use different file formats for native video due to patents and licensing. I use http://www.online-convert.com/ to make the missing formats from the one I have when I set up the demos.

Take care,
    Bill

Erika Walsh
    Participant

You’re brilliant!

Thanks so much and Best Wishes for a very Happy Holiday Season!

Erika

Bill Robbins

Happy to help out Erika 🙂

Happy Holidays to you too!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Customizing Header Navigation’ is closed to new replies.