customize the search bar?

Support Area Forums Authentic customize the search bar?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author

I am trying to add prepopulated text to my search bar, as many sites do (search this site…), which will disappear upon clicking the box and reappear if nothing is entered. I’ve Googled my way to code that will allow me to do so, however I can’t find the file I need to customize the search box. I see that there is one in several other OT themes, but not Authentic. Yet, there IS a search box widget, so there has to be a file somewhere and there must be some way to do this.

Bill Robbins

You can create a custom search for your site. To do that you will need to create a file called searchform.php inside your theme folder. You can create a new file either using a FTP program (you can get the login details from your web host), or by using your web host’s control panel. Most hosts have some type of file viewer that you can use to create a new file inside the theme folder. The theme folder should be inside wp-content/themes/authentic/

Inside this new file, you’ll need to paste this code:

and save your changes. That should give you a new search form for your search widget that automatically clears the “Search our site” text when you click on it.

If you have any trouble, let me know.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘customize the search bar?’ is closed to new replies.