Custom page style

Support Area Forums Selfie Custom page style

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
URL to the page in question: stefano.progettofoto.it
  • Author
    stefano salvadori
    Participant

Hi all

I want to know if possible create a pages with the same style of the home-template but with the possibility of inserting the image different from those in the home page…

some one can help me ?

thanks

Bill Robbins

Stefano,

Thank you for your business first of all. Great question. It is possible to display a single home block. You can add one to your navigation menu so your visitors can have access to it. That’s a possibility if you need to have only one block shown at a time.

If you need to create a second page similar to the home page with multiple home blocks that can be done. The built-in home page is set to show up to 20 home blocks. On the original home page, do you use that many? If you’ll let me know I’ll be glad to help you create another one so there aren’t duplicates between the first and second.

Thanks,
    Bill

stefano salvadori
    Participant

Hi Bill

I would like to create different pages with the same style of the home page not only 1 page.

by the time the home page will contain 12 images !

other question if possible … I see the possibility of using the shortcode “portfolio_group” and “portfolio_hero” but what do I enter in the field “value” for it to work?

thanks

Bill Robbins

Stefano,

I believe I’ve just though of a way to create alternative home pages. In our restaurant themes, we use a technique to create food menus that I believe we can apply here. That way you’ll be able to have as many “page” like the front page as you’d like to.

The “portfolio_group” and “portfolio_hero” elements in the text are keys for custom fields. The portfolio group is the field that contains the images used in the pop-up image viewer. The “portfolio_hero” is the main image that’s shown there. They aren’t associated with any shortcodes, but are made to work with the corresponding boxes on the inside of the site.

If I can get the alternative home to work, I’ll add it to the theme and release an update, hopefully by Friday.

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

I just released an update for the theme. After you update it, you’ll be able to add in multiple home pages. Here’s how:

1. In your WordPress dashboard, go to the Home Block section.
    2. Edit the first block you’d like to have on a second page. Look in the right hand column for a new box labeled “Portfolio Group.” Here you can create a new portfolio group (it’s basically works like categories do for posts). This is how you’ll let WordPress know which blocks to display together.
    3. After you’ve created your first portfolio group and assigned a block to it, add the other home blocks you’d like to show with it, to the same portfolio group.
    4. Then go to the Appearance section and select Menus. In left you should see a section for Portfolio Groups. You can now add your portfolio group to your navigation menu. Then update your menu.

That should now give you a “page” that will display the home blocks that you added to that portfolio group. You can use that same principal to create as many portfolio groups as you need. Each one can display up to twenty home blocks.

If you run into any questions, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Bil

stefano salvadori
    Participant

ok Bill…

I created a new category portfolio “venezia”, then I created a new block and I selected the category portfolio “venezia”

through the custom menu I entered the category portfolio “venezia” in the menu, but it appears “not found”

let me know…

Bill Robbins

Sorry about that. Go to the Settings section in your WordPress control panel and select Permalinks. Scroll to the bottom and save your permalinks. Wait for the screen to reload and then save them again.

See if that won’t fix the not found error for you.

Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

stefano salvadori
    Participant

thank you Bill now it works.

Great service and fast.

Last question: I want use the plugin WPML for multilingual, do you think there are problems?

thanks again.

Bill Robbins

I’m glad that worked for you.

I haven’t tried WPML with the theme, but I would expect it to work well with it. If you do run into any trouble, just let me know.

Have a great weekend,
    Bill

stefano salvadori
    Participant

mmm, blocks added a new category portfolio are also automatically added to the page for the home page…

Bill Robbins

That is true. All of the blocks will still appear on the front page as long as there are less than 20 blocks on the front page.

But you can make a change to the home page template to specify a portfolio group to show there. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Appearance section and select Edit.
    2. From the files on the right choose page-home-template.php
    3. Find this spot:

<?php $home_blocks = new WP_Query( 
      		array( 
      			'post_type'			=> 'block', 
      			'posts_per_page'	=> '20', 
      			'orderby'			=> 'menu_order', 
      			'order'				=> 'ASC',
      			'no_found_rows'		=> true
      			) 
      		); ?>

and change it to this:

<?php $home_blocks = new WP_Query( 
      		array( 
      			'post_type'			=> 'block', 
      			'posts_per_page'	=> '20', 
      			'orderby'			=> 'menu_order', 
      			'order'				=> 'ASC',
      			'no_found_rows'		=> true,
      			'tax_query' 		=> array(
      										array(
      											'taxonomy' => 'portfolio-group',
      											'field' => 'slug',
      											'terms' => 'front'
      										)
      				)
      			) 
      		);  ?>

4. Save your changes.

Now only home blocks that you add to the a portfolio group you’ll need to create called “Front” will be shown on the home page. You can add that to a child theme if you’d like to.

If you have any questions or trouble, just let me know.

Bill

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Custom page style’ is closed to new replies.