Creating an iTunes-subscrible podcast…

Support Area Forums Kerygma Creating an iTunes-subscrible podcast…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question: http://gracewaynesboro.com
  • Author
    GraceWaynesboro
    Participant

Bill, here is a screenshot showing that I’ve activated my widget, but I can’t make iTunes see my content, and the rss link is busted as well.

What I’m trying to do is create a new series category entitled Grace Church Audio, upload recorded mp3’s to that series, and then allow those who have subscribed to our podcast to receive said audio. Please walk me through the process. Thanks!

Bill Robbins

Happy New Year!

Excellent question. To create the “feed” that iTunes will see, first go to pages in your dashboard and create a new page. On the new page screen, look in the right hand column for a drop-down menu labeled templates. Choose “Podcast Audio Feed” for the template and publish your page.

This isn’t intended to be viewed by humans on your site so leave it out of your navigation. But you can take the URL and submit it to iTunes. They will be able to read your content there and display it to your subscribers.

That’s also the URL you’ll want to use with your subscription icon instead of the default WordPress RSS feed. That one only has content from your blog posts.

Let me know if you have any questions,
    Bill

GraceWaynesboro
    Participant

Bill, thanks for the help. One more question- how do I go about installing a subscription icon? I could see the available widget while activating my blubrry plugin, but as the plugin is redundant and now unactivated, I’m not sure how to get my website visitors to subscribe to the podcast.

GraceWaynesboro
    Participant

Bill, here’s an update:

I added the new page, found here: http://www.gracewaynesboro.com/grace-church-audio-podcast/

As I mentioned, I deactivated the blubrry plugin.

I submitted my URL to iTunes, who approved it and gave me this URL: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/grace-church-audio/id955179213

Interestingly enough, my phone added the podcast and shows the one episode that I’ve published. However, in iTunes I can’t see the one episode- instead I see my two test episodes which have since been deleted. Perhaps iTunes is slow in getting the memo?

In any case, I’m now trying to create an icon on my page that will redirect users to my iTunes podcast, where they can then subscribe…unless you’re able to have them subscribe directly off my site?

I appreciate your time and input!

Bill Robbins

Good Morning,

Thanks for the update. To save on resources, Apple only pings a RSS feed every day or so to update it. So it may take just a bit for the sample podcast episodes to be removed and the new ones to post. I’ve noticed at our church that episodes posted on Sunday at noon, often don’t appear in iTunes until Monday sometime. It should work its way out soon.

I’ve actually been building a new widget for the theme that has a better way of offering subscriptions for your podcasts. It should be ready this afternoon for you to update and start using.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
    Bill

GraceWaynesboro
    Participant

Hi Bill, thanks for the info. Where might I find this widget?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Creating an iTunes-subscrible podcast…’ is closed to new replies.